Questions about STMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I'm new in basis and have some basic questions about STMS:

My system landscape is DEV--QAS-PRD.

I set domain controller as QAS.

The question is:

1. In most cases, should transport directory be on the same host as domain controller? (in this case, transport directory on QAS server)

2. If I release TR in DEV system, where should the exported data be export to? on the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of QAS or on the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of DEV?

3. If the exported data were written to the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of QAS, then, does it mean that the 'sapmnt\trans' directory is of no use on DEV server and PRD server? (only trans directory in QAS is useful?)

4. Does the file DOMAIN.CFG and TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL in directory /sap/trans/bin should exactly be the same on those three systems?

5. In this case, what should the parameter DIR_TRANS be on server DEV and QAS? in QAS(controller), the parameter is
sapsrvqas\sapmnt\trans, then, in DEV, should the parameter be
sapsrvdev\sapmnt\trans or just
sapsrvqas\sapmnt\trans?

6. Should the transport route diagram version be exactly the same as on those three systems? I saw in my systems, the diagram is exactly the same on all systems, but strangely, the version on QAS is 10, while in DEV and PRD is 11, I don't know why...

Thank you very much for all in advance.

I will thank you again to all once the questions is clear to me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_mulvey
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

In answer to your questions:-

1. In most cases, should transport directory be on the same host as domain controller? (in this case, transport directory on QAS server)

(A) It doesn't matter where the transport directory is located as long as its accessible by all systems in your constellation. It only a shared folder where transports are copied to after you export them.

2. If I release TR in DEV system, where should the exported data be export to? on the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of QAS or on the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of DEV?

(A) There is only one transport directory where all transports will be located. You can verify this by going to AL11 -> DIR_TRANS. Notice that it is a shared folder rather than a directory on the local machine.

3. If the exported data were written to the 'sapmnt\trans' directory of QAS, then, does it mean that the 'sapmnt\trans' directory is of no use on DEV server and PRD server? (only trans directory in QAS is useful?)

(A) No there is only one common transport directory for one constellation.

4. Does the file DOMAIN.CFG and TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL in directory /sap/trans/bin should exactly be the same on those three systems?

(A) As there is only one common directory then the DOMAIN.CFG and TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL should be contained in the <DIR_TRANS>/bin directory.

5. In this case, what should the parameter DIR_TRANS be on server DEV and QAS? in QAS(controller), the parameter is
sapsrvqas\sapmnt\trans, then, in DEV, should the parameter be
sapsrvdev\sapmnt\trans or just
sapsrvqas\sapmnt\trans?

(A) You have setup your QAS system as the server where the transport directory is located. So in both QAS and DEV the transport directory should be
sapsrvqas\sapmnt\trans

6. Should the transport route diagram version be exactly the same as on those three systems? I saw in my systems, the diagram is exactly the same on all systems, but strangely, the version on QAS is 10, while in DEV and PRD is 11, I don't know why...

(A) Not too sure what you mean by this question but the transport routes will all be the same as you are using the same transport domain on all systems.

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for you detail explanations. it really helps me:)

The reason for my problem was occurred at the installation phase, since my landscape is not within a windows domain, and for each system install, I set the Transport Directory as local host, that leads to each system have their own transport directory, so, I was confused at that moment. Now, I have set parameter DIR_TRANS to the central transport directory, it works now.

Thank you so much...

Best regards,

Nick

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

You should have only one transport directory in a landscape. It realty does not matter where.

What really happened in most cases that the DEV system is the domain controller and it is holding the transport directory just because it is the first system is a landscape.

All systems in a landscape must have an access to the same directory, this is done by setting the SAPTRANSHOST or DIR_TRANS parameters.

Since only one trans directory exists, you should have only one DOMAIN.CFG and TP_DOMAIN_<SID>.PFL

Regards,

Nahum