cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCo Agent - Socket

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a plant that uses sockets. We would like to know more about the PCo agent "Socket" capabilities. Can anybody share their knowledge / experience / documentation etc. on this?

Regards,

Chanti.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When configuring Source systems in PCo for a Socket agent, there are two main tabs; General Settings and Communication ports. On the Communication Ports tab, you will need to configure the following:

Socket type - either IPv4 or IPv6

Name - internal name for the socket

Address - IP address for the socket

Port - port number of the socket

I would also review the General Settings to make sure extra configuration is needed. This should help you in connecting to the source system.

Regards,

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The reason I asked the question is, there is not much literature on socket agent except this statement "The RFC destination system is used only with the socket agent for communication with SAP Extended Warehouse Management (EWM) and socket-based programmable logic controls". Hence, wondered if this limitation applied to the socket agent as well.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I understand it now, the Socket agent is the source (listener) agent, and the RFC destination is the writer. RFC seems to be specific to EWM connections.

- Steve

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Specifically, can I use socket agent for communication between socket based PLCs and MII?

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Currently, the socket agent can only receive data from the connection, the writeback functionality is not yet implemented. I currently have a requirement that requires 2-way communications and am investigating alternatives; will share them here as they get resolved.

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve, did you find a solution for the 2-way communication?

This is my scenario:

I want to control the movements of a PLC via EWM using Pco.

We guess that SAP ODA is obsolete and should be using PCO. Right?

Within PCO we have analized two options within its agents:

**Agent-Socket

**OPC DA agent

At first we had thought of using OPC DA but according to SAP note 1551065 for EWM only works the socket agent.

Thank you in advance