cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASTM standard saftey testing

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All, We need to do ASTM testing on a group of materials. I need to document that certification testing in sap. Please suggest if QM is the best option or if there is any other option available. If QM is the best option please guide me how to set up or config to do that. Any help be great, Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For what? ASTM covers thousands of types of testing in a whole bunch of industries. Can you be a bit more specific?

But considering that there are many SAP systems supporting pharma companies and military defense contractors, which must usually meet the toughest testing requirements and audits, you can be pretty sure that your testing requirements can probably be satisfied using SAP.

Now as to whether it would best for you to use SAP for this testing is a whole different animal. That can depend on your business, the requirements, costs, support, end use of the data, etc. etc.. It's doubtful that a forum like this can really answer that question. It takes a bit of analysis.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

ASTM 2057-09- Tip over of bed room furniture for example- chests, drawers, night stand, dresser etc.

ASTM 2057-09- Tip over of bed room furniture for example- chests, drawers, night stand, dresser etc.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not familar specifically with those testing standards and I can't find a copy on line with out paying for it. But is there anything weird in the testing that you don't think can be done in SAP?

SAP has standard sampling procedures included already.

Is there something specifically you are concerned about?

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well i am not sure if i can use sap QM module for this, Thats what my original question was to give me some guide if i can use QM .. what part of QM i should use, config etc

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That depends on how you make your stuff and when you need to inspect. You can inspect during manufacturing, after manufacturing, before its shipped out, or just create manual inspection requests. Is this testing that every piece has to be subjected to? Once piece out of a batch? One piece during the R&D process for certification?

Are you using routings? Repetitive manufacturing? Variant config? Make-to-order? Make-to-inventory?

Do you ship a statement or certificate with each piece? (kind of doubt that in your industry).

Do you have to show the results externallly? Or are they for internal use only?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not want to inspect during manf or after manf, or before its shipped out. Should not tied to Production, procurement, delivery, migo etc.

This testing is for every piece in a specific material group.

Again this is not tied to routing, rep manf, VC or MTO

This has to be material specific and for internal use only, We do not have to show results externally.

Example- We have a FG part and we need to test it and docuement that testing and attach that testing docuement to the material.

Document should have part number, description, height, weight, date tested, steps performed during testing, test results.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok. now we are getting somewhere.

You said: "This testing is for every piece in a specific material group."

So if that is a chest, does that mean every chest is tested at some point? Or just one example of that particular chest design?

If it is just one piece, you can create a manual inspection lot for the material number with a quantity of 1. You'll have to create an inspection plan with various tests that you need to perform.

Once the plan is completed and the inspection lot created, the piece tested and the UD made on the inspection lot, you can now output the data.

You would modify the SAP provided SAPscript example for a COA to meet your needs. Create a Cert profile for the materials, set up the outputs to output a COA when the product is shipped. The cert would be printed with the BOL.

There are a lot of steps to get this working right but once all the master data is set up, it should be a relatively simple process to maintain and keep working.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Each item will be tested at least once. So now my question is can i create an inspection lot material specific only means without tied to production order, delivery, MIGO. I do not see this option in QM, its all tied together

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can create manual inspection lots. Usuallly you use inspection type 89 for this.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

FF, Would you please give me a little overview how to create manual lot .. what are all the steps... how would i tie this manual lot to material... Thanks much for all the help so far.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use transaction QA01.

Enter in inspection orign 89.

you'll have to enter in teh qty and batch number if batch managed.

If you have the inspection plans set up with the right usage and assigned to the material, every thing else should fill in ok. Save.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll try and post my results.

Thanks, I'll try

Former Member
0 Kudos

So i created a manual lot with type 89, Whats my next step??

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Record results.

Use QE02. Or from a worklist like QE51n or QA32.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to record the result in and getting the error "No quality notification type has been defined for inspection type 89"

Please help again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow this path -

SPRO - QM -Q. insp - Insp lot creation - maintain insp type -

select insp type 89 and go to details (or only double click on insp type 89).here you can see "inspection result" tab where one filed is "notification type".Here assign notification type as F3 and save.And now try doing RR.

vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now i am getting another error in QE02 when reocrding results "Characteristic results cannot be recorded for inspection lot" (Message no. QE181). "You cannot record any characteristic results for this inspection lot. The material master has been set up for the existing inspection type in such a way that results recording is not supported"

I have material master in QM view has inspection type 89 defined, 'Active' check box has selected and only "insp. with task", "Automatic Assignment" and "check Chars" selected, I may not need any of these options too coz i dont want the materials tied to Production, PO, Delivery, shipping etc etc etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what is the status of the insp lot?

vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

REL CALC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did u create Inspection plan for it ?