cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brbackup trace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone;

Hope you all had a wondeful weekend. We have just upgraded from 9.2.0.8 to 10.2.4.0 on Windows. I have noticed that my backups on our DEV and QA servers (production has not been upgraded yet) are taking forever to complete. For example on some of my servers what use to take 2 hours for my backups to complete are now taking 4 to 5 hours to complete.

It almost seems that brbackup needs to read the v$ views (i.e V$DATAFILE) or something and the wrong plan is being picked inside of Oracle. I would like to put a trace on the brbackup process to see where the time is being spent. The only problem is that when I run the backup using brbackup I don't see a brbackup process in SAP. I am using SM66 and ST04 to see what processes are running.

First question: Has anyone noticed there backups taking longer than usual when they have updated to 10.2.4.0....?????

What tool can I use at the Oracle level to see brbackup process and where all the time is being spent...???

Thank you all for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan and Eric;

Thank you both for your replies. Stefan, I am sorry to say that I am not using RMAN. Eric, I will follow through and read the note to see if it helps......... I will update this thread later in the week..... thanks again ................

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to make sure:

I suppose you did apply all the patches from SAP note 1137346 ?

Some of them are performance related.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

to enable trace , read SAP note 29321 - Creating traces for BR Tools.

It will surely help you in your task.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Pellegrino,

> It almost seems that brbackup needs to read the v$ views (i.e V$DATAFILE) or something and the wrong plan is being picked inside of Oracle

Ok, if you are talking about oracle ddic views (like V$DATAFILE) and backup i guess you are using RMAN, right?

> Has anyone noticed there backups taking longer than usual when they have updated to 10.2.4.0....?????

Sure, if you use RMAN it is very tricky sometimes. I have seen several performance issues with RMAN (especially on "large" databases with many data files).

> What tool can I use at the Oracle level to see brbackup process and where all the time is being spent...???

ST04 should be sufficient in your case. If you wanna dig deeper into it, you can also trace the brbackup calls (and RMAN), but at first - keep it simple.

There is a metalink note with known RMAN performance issues - check this metalink note #247611.1 first and compare this with your database behavior. For information about metalink access - check sapnote #758563.

Regards

Stefan