Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from SCM 4.0 to SCM 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts-

Need quick help from your end.

What would be recommended: Doing an upgrade from SCM 4.0 to SCM 7.0 or doing a fresh SCM 7.0 implementation? I understand that we cannot directly upgrade from SCM 4.0 to SCM 7.0. Rather, we have to go in two steps. For example- SCM 4.0 to SCM 2007 and then SCM 2007 to SCM 7.0.

What are the criterias that should be considered for deciding preference of fresh implementation over upgrade?

Also, it would be useful if you can share your experience with upgrade from SCM 4.0 to SCM 7.0, specially approach taken.

Rgds

Alok Srivastava

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Alok Srivastava,

You are right. A direct upgradation to SCM 4 to SCM 7 is not possible. We took a step from SCM 4 to SCM 5 and then SCM 5 to SCM 7. During the upgrade we had a quite lot of problems (macros,alerts,heuristics,delpoyment, interchangablity,BI, Unicode....). My kind advice for you to go with the latest support package so that you don't have much problems.... In our case we went with SP 3 where there were lot of problems.

Regards,

Siva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We need to first decide whether we should even do an upgrade from SCM 4.0 to SCM 7.0 or simply do SCM 7.0 fresh implementation? What are your thoughts? What can be the criterias which we should consider before choosing one of the options?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srivastava,

I suggest, rather than going for two step process, if direct

implementation to scm 7.0 is feasible at your end, you can

plan for it.

I would also suggest to check the below link under

upgrade info & instatllation guides under Release & info

tab which will give more guidelines for you to choose

between the alternatives