cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xMII as GUI too

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In one of our scenarios, we need to access certain data from shop floor machines and need to be integrated with the ECC. besides that certain data has to be processed in the ECC which is independent of the data from the machines. For the overall processes, a GUI is required which could be used to have an interface with the user.

Would xMII alone could be taken up for achieving this task? The tasks are detailed as below:

1) Integrating the data from machines to ECC ( might need to display this data to the user also)

2) Integrating the data from ECC to the User interface

Thanks & Regards,

Vishnu.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu,

Please find the below documents which may help you

How to Integrate SAP xMII Services with Web Dynpro Java

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0e74673-718f-2910-c4a7-bbae959d1e5a?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Connecting to an OPC Server using SAP xMII 11.5(getting data from shop floor systems using UDS connector)

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/800a0604-ce6e-2910-3992-ae79a7f23c79?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Tips and Tricks for Building ERP Interfaces in MII

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b0f26203-5ebd-2b10-5cb4-84e7019bfadc?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Thanks & Regards,

krishna chaitanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your reply! I am not a technical consultant in xMII but would like to know the possibility in guiding the customer in developing the landscape using this application. So I would be more interested to know your views on my questions rather than the exact technical implementation steps.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Integrating the data from machines to ECC ( might need to display this data to the user also)

Yes we can integrate shop floor machines with xMII through UDS connector. You can pull the values into xMII and the same can be updated in ECC using BLS.

2) Integrating the data from ECC to the User interface

Yes we can integrate and populate the data from ECC to UI, through BLS. UI can be developed using HTML , then you can add Applet (Query Template + Display Template) tag to accomplish the task.

Thanks

Rajesh Sivaprakasam.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for your answers. I would like to go a step ahead in to the clear picture. 1) Can I use xMII alone as a GUI too for these integrations? Would there be any hurdles in achieving this?

2) Can I use webdynpro for the GUI and the integration of machines though xMII? Would there be any disadvantage by going ahead in this approach?

Regards,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) Can I use xMII alone as a GUI too for these integrations? Would there be any hurdles in achieving this?

Yes You can use xMII to develop more interactive GUI for these integrations. Its easy to design and configure.

There are no hurdles in achieving this.

2) Can I use webdynpro for the GUI and the integration of machines though xMII? Would there be any disadvantage by going ahead in this approach?

I don't have enough information on WebDynpro.

Thanks

Rajesh Sivaprakasam.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishnu,

1) Can I use xMII alone as a GUI too for these integrations? Would there be any hurdles in achieving this?

MII is having the capability to pull data from ShopFloor and Update it to SAP. Between these activity MII can aggregate data and can be displayed in dashboards(grids,charts, SVGs etc)

2) Can I use WebDynpro for the GUI and the integration of machines though xMII? Would there be any disadvantage by going ahead in this approach?

Offcourse you can use WebDynpro for GUI. But from MII you can use these as webservice or HTTP services and need to configure in WebDynpro . The problem here is you need to put more efforts in configuring the data in WebDynpro and MII.

Check the below article which explains you how you can use webdypro in MII.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c0e74673-718f-2910-c4a7-bbae959d1e5a

-Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

I am happy to see your reply. WHich one would you prefer among the two for the GUI. Could you plese brief your answers based on the below topics:

1) Scalability

2) ROI & licensing fee

3) Development & maintenance effort.

4) compatibility

5) Performance

Rgards,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu,

I don't know much aboaut Webdypro. I will give the overviw of MII for your queries.

1) Scalability

Yes, MII is having the good scalabale capability. If you want to add new scenaraio to the existing application.

2) ROI & licensing fee

ROI ---> Better ROI by implimenting MII. It makes top management,opertaor to analyze the plant cpabailities in real time,better decision making,reporting capabilty,SPC Analysis.

Benifits:

Lower Total Cost of Ownership

Through prebuilt connectors, SAP MII delivers a single layer of connectivity between the ERP backbone and the real-time plant floor. This helps you extract an even higher overall ROI from your plant floor IT infrastructure, without having to rip and replace them. We do not use proprietary software.

Higher Productivity and Lower Costs

SAP MII aggregates information from multiple systems to deliver actionable intelligence to plant floor personnel through alerts, reports, and KPIs. It also enables real-time decision making by providing critical manufacturing intelligence through role-based, configurable dashboards in a way that vastly reduces the cost of information delivery. The result is higher manufacturing productivity.

Continuous Business Improvement

SAP MII delivers real-time analytics that enhance manufacturing performance. Production personnel can monitor, measure, analyze, and control process-improvement initiatives, including Six Sigma, lean manufacturing, and right-first-time manufacturing. comparisons that enable benchmarking, superior asset utilization, and rationalization of poorly performing assets.

Faster Time to Value

SAP MII can typically be implemented within 4 to 10 weeks on a per-plant basis, delivering rapid ROI.

For Licence: Contact SAP.

3) Development & maintenance effort.

Effort is not too big with MII because of its prebuiilt application cpabaility

4) compatibility

MII can connect to many diversified systems,thirdparty appllications. The current version of MII is running in SAP Netweavr Environment.

5) Performance

Good performance.The future MII uses SWINGS we can expect better performance

Hope this helps you.

-Suresh

Edited by: Suresh Hiremath on Mar 23, 2010 7:53 AM