cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapdata file systems are full

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

In the preparation steps of upgrade, i have found that 3 sapdata file systems are completely full.

/oracle/<SID>/sapdat3, 4, 5 are at 100 %, 0 % free space.

however we have additional file system which is having sufficient free space /oracle/<SID>/sapdata6.

my worry is that, is it ok if i keep those file systems with 0 % free space as i have additional file system to add any datafiles required.

somewhere i have read that keeping 0 % free, would lead to so many issues.

Can you please clarify me for the above?

Thanks and regards

Purna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

kishore_soma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

One simple method is, ask your OS team if they can extend the mountpoints, if yes

then

> stop SAP as well as DB

> take a complete offline file system backup of sapdata3, 4, 5 and what ever u want to extend

> Then give the system to them so that they can extend the Mount point

> Then once they extend and give it to you, then restore the backup taken

> then start the DB and check for errors

This is the very simplest way, But you should make sure that your backup is consitent or take an offline backu of DB.

Regards,

Kishore Soma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As sudhir mentioned, as long as you have those datafiles set to auto extend off you should be fine . Otherwise, I would suggest do the reorg and move those files to new filesystem.

Thanks

SV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi purnachender,

You can do the Re-Organisation of the datafiles in the following manner.

1.The current location of the data files can be seen from the out of the query on the sql prompt.

SQL> SELECT name FROM v$datafile;

2.Shutdown SAP system and database.

SQL> SHUTDOWN ; or SQL> SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;

3.Move the required files from one file system to the other file system by executing the following command.

Eg: SQL> host mv /oracle/SID/sapdata3/btabi_9/btabi.data9 /oracle/SID/sapdata6/btabi_9/btabi.data9

4. Start the database in mount mode.

SQL> STARTUP MOUNT

5. Issue the ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE command to move the file within the Oracle dictionary.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE '/oracle/SID/sapdata3/btabi_9/btabi.data9' TO '/oracle/SID/sapdata6/btabi_9/btabi.data9'

6. Open the database.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

7.Repeating the initial query shows that the the datafile has been renamed in the data dictionary.

SQL> SELECT name FROM v$datafile;

8. Start SAP system.

Thanks,

Nick S

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

0% free is not an issue on most operating systems.

one exception I know of is HP-UX 11.11 (and maybe other versions) which should have a t least 1% free.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have data files with autoextend option ON then it might be a problem. If this options is set to off then I don't think it should be a problem.

If you wish you can move couple of datafiles from sapdata which are full. Please see the below link.

Link: [Moving a Data File with BR*Tools|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/EN/1e/5f863f06593a17e10000000a114084/content.htm]

Regards,

Sudhir

Edited by: Sudhir on Mar 22, 2010 8:06 AM