cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems updating PAR using PDK for .NET

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wonder if anyone can give me any pointers to this problem I am having.

I am trying to get to grips with portal development. I have managed to install the Sneak Preview SAP NetWeaver 2004, the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio (Java) and the PDK for .NET.

With the Developer Studio I have created a project, with a couple of components and uploaded the PAR to the portal. Within the Portal I have managed to create a view based on my components and added it to the standard user role.

When I change my component in Developer Studio and re-deploy, the iView in the portal containing my component reflects the change as soon as it is refreshed (e.g. by clicking on the workset/page). So far, so good.

My problem is that I can’t get the same updating to work from the .NET world. I have installed the PDK for .Net, created a project with the same “Hello World” component and successfully uploaded the PAR to the portal. I can then create an iView based on this .NET component. But when I make a change to my code and re-upload the changes are <b>not</b> reflected in the iView.

I have tried to manually upload the par file from my .NET development environment to the portal; I have tried to create a new iView from the .NET par thinking it would refreash it somehow, but that didn’t work.

One final observation. My first .NET par contained only one component (PortalComponent1.ascx). When I subsequently tried to update the par, I added a second component to my project. I was able, in the portal, to create a new iView based on my <b>second</b> component.

But when I tried to ‘preview’ that iView I got a “FileNotFound” exception for C:\Program Files\SAP\Portal Runtime for Microsoft .NET\Server00\PortalApps\PortalApplicationHello\PortalComponent2.ascx

Looking at that location, it is indeed missing that file – in fact the files that are there are (based on their timestamps) from my original deployment of my .NET project.

So I guess my question boils down to – <b><i>“how do you get the ..\Portal Runtime for Microsoft .Net\ServerXX\PortalApps to update when the pars are updated”?</i></b>

(I have checked – the .par files are updated in …WEB-INF\deployment\pcd, WEB-INF\deployment\temp as well as the files in WEB-INF\portal\portalapps)

Many thanks for taking the time to read this (on a Friday as well!)

Steve

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Steve,

Try re-starting your .NET runtime after the deployment.

Regards,

Ofer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that Ofer - it did the trick.

Bit of a work-round in a production environment (and something that I guess will be fixed in due course) but for what I am doing it works just fine.

Joseph - thanks for your reply. To be honest, I didn't give your suggestion a go - mainly because it looked like more work than Ofer's suggestion and I am basically lazy!

However, when I was trying things out last Friday I did try creating new iViews based on what I thought was an updated PAR and what I got was a iView of my 'old' code. So I'm not sure clearing out the iViews and re-creating would have worked.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the heads up, Steve. I'll have to try that next time I start seeing "weird" things during development.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is an issue here where the PAR created is not necessarily the same PAR that is sent up. A workaround that I hope works is to go to the portal and clean out the iviews (etc...) from that project. I'll post more info as I discover new things...

Message was edited by: Joseph Wilwayco