cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Basic 6 and Crystal Reports 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, sorry this is my first time and I am not sure if I am in the correct area.

I am trying to determine the correct project reference to use With Visual Basic 6 and Crystal Reports 2008.

I readin the form " that I have to use the ReportDocument object model.

I need to use the .openreport yet first need the proper Project Reference and Declarations

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

You can not use CR2008 with VB6. The COM based developer components that used to integrate with VB6 have been retired.

You can use the Crystal Reports .NET components and Visual Studios to create Windows or Web applications. The Crystal Reports .NET SDK uses the ReportDocument object.

You'll find "getting started" information at the beginning of the "[.NET Development - Crystal Reports|;" forum. If you have any questions about the Crystal Reports .NET SDK please post additional questions in that forum.

Also, please do not cross post the same question to multiple forums. See the [Rule of Engagment|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/x/FgQ] for additional information.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel,

Thanks so much for your detailed and quick reply.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to do some work in Visual Basic 6. Would I then use Crystal Reports XI instead of 2008?

Thanks, TIm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

Yes, if you need to work with VB6 you can use the Report Designer Component (RDC) that is part of CR XI (v11.0) or CR XI R2 (v11.5). Getting started information for the RDC is posted at the beginning of the [Legacy Application Development SDKs|; forum.

If you have specific questions about the RDC please post questions to that forum.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan, I appreciate your speedy answer to this. Thank you so much. Have a great weekend. All the best.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan, sorry can I ask you one more question. I am trying to open a Crystal Reports report which is Version 11 using the ".openreport". I have a project reference of "Crystal Reports ActiveX Designer Design and Runtime Library 10.2". I could not seem to find which reference to use for Crystal Reports 11" and when I try to do the .openreport in VB6 I get "This report was created with a version of Crystal Reports which is later than the version you are running. Some features used in the report may not be supported." Which reference should I use on this machine that has VB6 installed and Crystal Reports XI? I appreciate your help. I have been looking online for an answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

I saw your other post in the Legacy forum. You said you're using Crystal Reports Professional edition. The Professional edition is not a development level product. You need the Developer edition. CR Professional does not come with development licensing.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan,

Thanks so much. That clears things up. I should have realized that. It's been a while working with Crystal Reports. I appreciate your response so quickly. All the best!

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dan,

Can I ask? I am looking for a 30-day evaluation of: Crystal Reports XI Release 1 Developer Edition

I found the following link: http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/freetrials/index.epx but it is for:

Crystal Reports XI Release 2 Developer Edition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you saying, I just wasted my money?

What version do I need for VB6?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

I don't believe CR XI (v11.0) is available for download any longer. Crystal Reports XI R2 is the version you should use since it still has support for a few more months. If you have to have CR XI (v11.0) you'll have to contact SAP Business Objects customer care - customercare @ sap.com (you will have to rebuild this email address by removing spaces). They may know of a download location.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Brad,

What I said earlier was that if you need to use VB6 and the Report Designer Component (RDC) then you have to use Crystal Reports XI Release 2 (v11.5). The RDC has been deprecated since version 9 or 10, and it was retired with the release of CR2008.

CR XI R2 is the last version of Crystal Reports that ships with the RDC COM component for VB6 integration.

The link to the eval version of CR XIR2 was posted earlier in this thread. As for "downgrading" your purchase you'll have to contact your vendor.

Sincerely,

Dan Kelleher

Answers (0)