cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete DC other than deleting _comp folder contents?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To clean up the consolidation workspace, I have deleted and fixed most of the broken DCs with the procedure explained in the SAP Note for Deleting DC. However for 3 of the DCs, Iam unable to sync the source files in my NWDS as I do not see them in the Local DCs View. If I expand the track in this view, I do not see this DC. Unless I do a sync inactive sources, I do not get this DC to delete the contents under _comp folder.

Is there any other way to delete this DC. The assembly is failing due to this. I might be able to build it excluding these broken DCs, which I do not want to do unless I dont have any option left.

If someone has faced similar issue, can you please let me know on this.

Thanks,

Uma A

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uma,

according to your description, I would say the most likely cause for this, is that some developer did not activate the activities in which those 3 dcs have been created.

So the first thing I would do is to check NWDS or DTR Gui if there are still open activities. If so check the content and activate or revert this activities. Please note: NWDS has by default a filter so that only your own activities are shown. You ahve to set the filter to see the activities of all users.

If this is the cause you can jsut delete them as you did with all others after they are activated. If you revert the shouild be gone. But there is a good change that revert will not entierly clean up dtr. Its a littel bit tricky with activities containg dc creation.

If there are no open activites for those DCs things get a little bit more complicated. There are ways to delete stuff out of inactive dtr workspaces by force. But I don't want to post them just yet, because a lot of damage can be done by this methodeds.

So please check for open acticvities first. If this does not solve the problem, let me know I will gove you some hints then.

Jope this helps you

Have a good time

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for input Jan.

I checked with all the open activities for check-in/activate state. There are no activities.

The DC files are ejbmodule and metadata only. Other 3 linked to core services I dont find them at all in the track.

The other DC is a metadata dc from another core services.

Can you please let me know if by using the deleteDC command, I will be able to delete these.

The other option Iam thinking of is doing the assembly excluding the Broken / inconsistent state.What do you suggest on this?

Thanks,

UmaA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uma,

I am afraid the deletedc command of DC Tool will not help you. IT will only work if the DCs are in active state too. If you try to delete these DC that are only available in inactive. DC Tool shoulld say that it is not able to find those DCs at all..

You shouldn't see them in CBS either. So I do not understand right now how they do affect assembly.

Maybe you can give me a hint why those DCs prevent you from assembling. Are they referenced from other DC?

Just for clarification for me. I understood it like this so far. All your DCs are located in one SC. You are not able to assemble the SC because of broken DCs in it. Right?

Hmm I dont know a way on how to exclude DCs from assembly only SCs.

Looking forward hearing from you

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uma,

ok now I think I get it! I just realized you are working in the CONS of your track. Thats something completely different. I assumed you deleted in DEV.

I would advice you note to change anything at all in CONS!!! So maybe you some what screwed your track right now.

Broken DCs in CONS, which prevent you from assembling, are almost always caused by incomplete releases out of DEV!

A simple example. You are using 2 DCs that are depending on each other. In one activity you define a public part in one DC. In another activity you have some code using this public part. Both activities are checked in and activated in DEV - everythings works fine. Now the day comes you want to transport your code to test. For whatever reason only the activity, with the code that uses the new public part, gets released but not the one in which it was actually defined. This will cause a broken DC in CONS, but the import will not fail neccessarily. The error in assembly is something like list of broken DCs not zero. So the solution to the problem here is pretty simple. Just release and import the activity where the public part was defined in. NWDI will set the depending DC to dirty after import and it will be rebuild sucessfully. Assembly is possible after this.

If that was the problem in your track and you tried to fix the problem by deleting or changing stuff in CONS. Your track is in really bad shape now I am afraid. Because DEV and CONS are now really inconsistence to each other. Fixing this can be extremly time expensive.

So before we proceed to fix this situation pleasce check if my assumption may or may not be valid. Just check if there are still unreleased activities in transport view of NWDS. If your development continued in DEV after the release this may be difficult to decide if those are new or old ones. IF possible release and import all of them to CONS. Be aware of the filters which may prevent you to see all activites when set wrong.

If you deleted stuff by hand changes are very good, or in your case more like bad, that this will resolve nothing, because CONS is logically destroyed for now

If so don't panic it is possible to fix this. but I have to run some test to see if my idea is valid.

So please let me know what the result of your test was.

Have a good time

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply.

Details :

1) Unreleased activities : NONE. Checked with all the users. No filters in search criteria.

2) Details on the DCs:

Total 3 DCs in Cons: Both these DCs are core services DCs.

- testejb/ejbmodule

- testejb/metadata

- newtest/metada

3) They do not have dependency on any other DC in the track.( ie. Iam going to the DC Details , the 'Using DCs' is empty.

4) Manually changing in CONS track. Did not do this.

5) Not finding these DCs in Local View of NWDS to sync to delete in both Dev and Cons buildspaces. If we are thinkin of deleting from Dev and checking in the activity, Will not be able to do it from Dev buildspace.

Thanks,

Uma.A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uma,

thanks for the additional info. I still don't entirely understand the problem.

Can you please tell me where you can see these dc again. And waht is the build status.

Are these DCs broken in DEV or only in CONS?

Can you see them in CBS GUI in DEV? If not can you see them in CONS of CBS?

I understood it this way so far. The main problem is your are not able to assemble your SC because this 3 DCs are broken in CONS? Did I understand this right? The only thing I can think of is that the activites in which the DCs where created have been activated with error. If the activation fails the Code will not be switched to active space. But the activity may get the status closed.

So I guess the only way to make proper guess on whats going on is to try to find the actvities in which the DCs where created. And see what happened to them.

Ah I just had another Idea. Please make a workspace comparison in DTR GUI. And maybe post the result.

You can do this by using following URL: http://<hostname>:<port>/dtr/system-tools/reports/WorkspaceComparison

If your development did not proceed compare /dev/inactive with /dev/active there should be no difference if everything was successfully activated.

If development continued compare /cons/inactive with cons/active. If the release was clean there must not be any differences.

So my conclusion for now is if DEV is clean (everything is shown in CBS with ok status) and all activiteis have been released. It is very likely that the activation of those DCs failed.

But for now there are too many question marks for me to give you proper advice.

Looking forward hearing from you

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jan - For above questions:

1) In DEV , I have 9 DCS which are broken , In CONS , I have 3 broken.

2) Only 1 DC is common, rest are different

3) Yes, I can see broken DCs in both DEV and CONS in CBS

4) In cons, broken dc status is compile state and metadata state.

5) Workspace Comparision - I did this.

I have 9 broken in Dev and 3 in Cons. FYI : The broken ones in both spaces are not required for application sca build.

6) Activities for these , I dont have anything open to checkin / activate/release.

Thanks Jan. Let me know if any other info required...

If I dont want to continue with this track, shall i extract an sca file out of the required DCs from Dev workspac and create a new track. Iam keeping this as last option if nothing works. Do you suggest anything else?

Uma. A

Edited by: Uma Anbazhagan on Mar 24, 2010 9:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uma,<br>

<br>

thank you for your answer. I think I understand now. <br>

You have a SC with several DCs some are broken, some are not. The ones that are broken are not required any more. The fact that they are marked as broken, means they should be available both in active and inactive workspaces.<br>

<br>

In this case I would say you have several options to choose from.<br>

<br>

The most time consuming way and maybe the way you will learn the most for your self is to pretend the DCs are needed. <br>And try to set things straight in this track. The general approach to this would be as follows:<br>

- First try to fix the development tier of your track. Which means try to fix all the build errors<br>

- once DEV is clean (no broken DCs). Release all activities and import the release to CONS. If the release was consistent CONS should be clean as well after this.<br>

- once CONS is cleaned up, assembly should be no problem.<br>

<br>

This document should help you a lot, understanding broken DCs and how to fix them, its called CBS secrets unveiled :<br>

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30b7c94e-fc6b-2910-30b8-d34a7b51309e<br>

<br>

<br>

But as mentioned the DCs are not needed any more. so another valid approach is the one you tried from the beginning. Delete the DCs. i did not check the note you mentioned at the beginning. But I guess this is the "immediate hierarchical deletion" method. Out of NWDS. Which works great most of the time. Being more a admin then a developer, I prefer the DC-Tool for deleting DCs. You asked about ti before. As rule of thumb you could say. As long as CBS is aware of the DCs, DC Tool should be able to delete them as well. So trying to use the DC tool is an option, as you suggested yourself.<br>

<br>

I assume you never used the tool before so here is a little how to to get you started:<br>

General info can be found here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/43/cf6bac44e70a85e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm<br>

<br>

The DC-Tool can be found in your NWDS installation folder , subfolder /eclipse/tools/dc.<br>

<br>

1:<br>

Usually you have to set some variables in bat file first. The path to the JDK is missing in dctool.bat. enter something like this:<br>

set JAVA_HOME="G: oolsjavajdk1.5.0_06".<br>

it is very likely you although have to set NWDITOOLLIB. something like this should do:. set NWDITOOLLIB="..lib"<br>

The lib folder is a subfolder of /eclipse/tools as well.<br>

<br>

2: <br>

The next thing to do is to create a local DTR Client. SInce you are working with the track this should be there already. If not just import the development configuration of the track in your NWDS this will automatically create a dtr client too.<br>

<br>

3:<br>

Now you are ready to go. start dctool.bat. a command promt starting with :dc> should apear.<br>

First load your configuration. This can be done with this command:<br>

<br>

loadconfig -u your nwdi username -p your pass -r "c:documents and settingsyour windows profile/username.dtc" -c "c:documents and settingsyour windows profile/username.dtr"<br>

<br>

In some cases you have to insert a "
" double backslash before the windows profile user folder. but not always. If everything worked right dctools will tell you that you just imported the development configuration of your dev workspace (NWDI-Domain_trackid_D) and that the data is located at folder "c:documents and settingsyour windows profile/username.dtc�" where "0" is the dtr client folder. <br>

<br>

IF you made it this far you just mastered the first barrier. a lot of people fail to master it with just the help.sap.com infos about the tool. So congratulations )<br>

<br>

4: <br>

Now to delete the DCs. Delete them one by one...<br>

the command line for this is as follows, i will split it to several lines so I can explain some stuff. Lines beginning with # are jsut comments. you have to write the command in a single line in dctools.<br>

<br>

deletedc<br>

- s compartment name<br>

1. the easiest way is to cut and past the compartment name out of CBS-gui. It is usually vendor-name_SC-name_1<br>

-n DC-name<br>

1. same as for the compartment name. just cut and paste it out of cbs gui. safest way...<br>

-v vendor<br>

1. usually your companies domain name like sap.com etc.<br>

-m movechilddcup<br>

1. this will tell dctool not to delete hierarchically. it will well move child dcs up i use this for safty<br>

<br>

so for a demo dc for my comapny this would be like:<br>

deletedc -s evosoft.com_HOWTO_1 -n demo/howto -v evosoft.com -m movechilddcup <br>

<br>

Its not unusaual you get some wired errors messages and warnings about some sap dcs that are used. in most cases you can just ignore them.<br>

<br>

If everything works well dc tool will tell you deleted dc 'demo/howto' succesfully. Which is not really true.

DC tools just creates an activity which is not activated yet.<br>

<br>

5:<br>

So the next step is to activate the activity. This will be done in activation view of development configuration perspective in nwds. The activity has a generic name like: Delete DC 'demo/howto' via DC tool at timestamps. Activate it and check the result of the activation request. If everything is ok the dc will be deleted in dev after this.<br>

<br>

6:<br>

If the DC is gone in DEV just release the activity to cons and import it to delete the dc there.<br>

<br>

7:<br>

Congrats mate. You did it.<br>

<br>

I am aware that there is a good change that this procedure may fail depending on the state of the dcs in your track. So here is what you can do if you want to extract the good dcs from your track. I don#t know what you meant by "shall i extract an sca file out of the required DCs from Dev workspace". I don#t know a way how to do this. but this does not mean there might not any. <br>

<br>

The thing I would do in case the deletion of the dc s is not successful is as follows:<br>

<br>

1:<br>

Create a new SC with different name and add it to your track. Create it with the same dependencies as your old one<br>

<br>

2:<br>

update your dev config in nwds so that the SC is available in the locale dtr client.<br>

<br>

3:<br>

start the dc tool and load your config as described above.<br>

<br>

4:<br>

use the dc tool command "movedc" as described here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/45/37ee18a6b04a18e10000000a114a6b/content.htm to move your ok dcs to the new SC. <br>

<br>

5:<br>

The dc tool will just create activities as before, so activate them in NWDS to do the actual move<br>

<br>

6:<br>

Check the DCs build state in the new SC if everything is ok. you have to release the activites to import them into CONS as well.<br>

<br>

7: <br>

Assemble the new SC if everything is ok. delete the old SC out of your track.<br>

<br>

<br>

Ok Uma, I hope this will help you to resolve your issue.<br>

<br>

Have a good time <br>

Jan <br>