Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

EXPORT to MEMORY ID Vs. EXPORT to DATA BASE IDX table??

Hi,

Some times we use EXPORT to MEMORY ID and some times we EXPORT to DATABASE IDX table, pls. let me know,

1) When we use EXPORT to MEMORY ID?

2) When we use EXPORT to DATA BASE IDX table?

3) I knew that in the (1) case, data wuld be stored in shared memory for session live.......but, what about (2) case,Where its stored, is it storeas really in data base? like other data (say, sales order data) this exported data also persists for ever in the Oracle data bse? or this table (idx) is a logical data base?

Thank you

Former Member replied

Essentially, I would export to a memory id if I have a process that will immediate follow what I'm doing right now and will be executed in the same user context.

The problem arises when we launch something that might not end up on the same APPS server, due to load balancing, or when I need to store the data and come back later, with another program, to retrieve that data, for instance, an extract that stores data that is put together with something else for a report, or something. In this case, writing to INDX or a custom transparent table of the same structure will result in what SAP calls semi-persistent data....

Research shared objects or semi-persistent data for an understanding of the various methods of passing data between objects.

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question