Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query on XI's webservices

former_member185846
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need a clarification on SAP webservices...

As per my knowledge <b>any RFC - enabled function</b> can be exposed as a webservice which can be consumed by any application written in any language directly..

Later I came to know that an <b>XI message interfac</b>e can also be exposed as a Webservice.

<b>But I don't understand the usage of exposing a message interface as a webservice.. bcoz the concept of webservice is that a function written in one language can be consumed by any program in any language.</b>

So exposing <b>ABAP methods</b> as webservices makes some sense... But exposing <b>XI message interface</b>??..

How a message interface (exposed as a webservice) can be consumed by other programs????

Please guide..

Regards,

Joe.

Message was edited by: Joe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

turmoll
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As per my knowledge <b>any RFC - enabled

> function</b> can be exposed as a webservice which

> can be consumed by any application written in any

> language directly..

1) I wouldn't fully agree with your definition of web service. Refer definition of webservice on wikipedia <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webservice">link</a>

2) I would also say that it also depends on which system you are talking about

e.g. You can't expose RFC enabled FM on r/3 4.6c but it is possible e.g. on WAS 6.40

> How a message interface (exposed as a webservice)

> can be consumed by other programs????

You can download a WSDL describing the webservice and based on that some IDE (e.g. Eclipse, MS Visual Studio) will generate classes, types etc. which you can use to perform communication.

Regards,

Jakub

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

I have the same question in my mind.

Please share your knowledge if you have found any relevant information to the same question.

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are many types of webservice..

RFC is function-oriented webservice.

XI interface is integration webservice.

Hope t z simple and clear.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

A Web service is any interface that is described and can be called through the Web services standards. The standards stack is continuously growing, with some standards, such as SOAP and WSDL, being widely accepted and supported while others still are merely proposals and neither accepted nor supported by the industry as a whole.

So, Interfaces shall also be treated as Web Services.

Thanks