Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives can only be used once?

Faaiez
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

In the Adobe form when creating an alternative I've discovered that it can only be used once.

Is this correct?

I've created an alternative e.g. name = FLAG_IS_X condition flag = X.

When I use the alternative 'FLAG_IS_X' the first time it works as required.

However, when I use it a second time on the form it does not work at all.

Does this mean that a different alternative with the same condition has to be created even though the condition you want to use is the same?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Guys, if you want to solve the problem through scripting, I am ready to help. You can start with a little search, read a little around here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/lc_designer_scripting_basics/lc_designer_scripting_ba...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/es/FormCalc.pdf

Or ask a question:))

Regards Otto

Faaiez
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for you suggestion and assistance.

I always find it refreshing to learn new things.

However, one must consider time and budget put in place to do these things and one would expect them to work as expected.

I however had to create a different alternative every time I needed to use it.

Regards

Faaiez

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

Well I stumble it seems on the same 'issue' . I have 3 master pages and have the requirement to put a watermark on it depending on the status. The first master is in portrait and contains the contact details, the second master page contains the line items and is in landscape and the third one contains the totals and is back portrait.

First I had only one alternative and used it on the 3 masterpage to check if the watermark had to be printed. In this case it was only correct for the first page (contact-info) the rest all received the mark although they should not.

Then I made 3 altenatives (one for each type of master page) all checking the same condition.

This way it was correct for page 1 (contacts), the first page of the items (the two others had the watermark although they should not - so not correct) and the last page with the totals.

In my case the contacts-page and totals-page can only have a page-count of 1 but I'm almost sure that if they could have a page count of 2 or more then only the first page would be correctly printed.

Is this a bug you think?

Faaiez,

Did you find in the end a workaround for this?

Otto.

Any suggestion of how I could handle this with scripting (no experience with scripting though)

Anyway tnx already for all the input !!

best regards,

Bart V.

Faaiez
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

I had to create a different alternative every time I needed to use it. Painful.

Regards

Faaiez

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I hvae no such experience, I try not to use the alternatives, because they´re not easily well... transportable (you can copy and paste script through word or mail, you can save the form as PDF and move).

But there should be an obvious workaround for this (IF you´re right). Why don´t you create a common root node for all the parts of the form which you want to manipulate by the alternative?

Or maybe you would consider moving to scripting? Or any other way doing what you need to do?

Regards Otto