cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tar Backup when SAP is started

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Is it possible to take TAR backup of all filesystems when SAP is running.

Normally for taking backup thru TAR, we stop the SAP system, the database and then take an offline TAR backup.

So is Online Tar bacup possible????

Thanks & regards,

Sagar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it possible to take TAR backup of all filesystems when SAP is running.

It is possible but if you are using a Java AS then there is no guarantee of a full and consistent backup of all system components because a lot of information is only written to the file system when the system is shutdown. See [Backing Up and Restoring AS Java|http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/4b/d8f23ea4b42e5ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm] for further information.

Nelis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for the quick response.

You mean t say that I would be able to backup /usr/sap filesystems without any issues.

When I backup /oracle filesystems, it would give me an error or will the backup continue.

Thanks in advance

Sagar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sagar,

You mean t say that I would be able to backup /usr/sap filesystems without any issues.

Yes !...

When I backup /oracle filesystems, it would give me an error or will the backup continue.

Backup may get complete without any error. But while restoration you will face many problems.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sure... You can take TAR backup of application directories.

If you take TAR backup of "database" it will not be consistant as database is getting changed.

Except database you can take TAR backup of other filesystem.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede