Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to an ITS service failed

vipin_v2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am very new to ITS technology!

We have two systems 1) BW and 2) EP (Enterprise Portal). We access applications present in BW via EP through SSO (single sign on). Recently couple of our BW applications through EP got in accessable and received an error message as "Connect to SAP

gateway failed Connect_PM DEST=..., GWHOST=... GWSERV=..., ASHOST=...,

SYSNR=... LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host ERROR max no of 100

conversations exceeded".

To solve it i went through the SAP note: 316877 which speaks about the same and provides the below solution:

The problem is caused by too many open RFC connections. There are the

following options to fix this:

1. Reduce ~timeout on the ITS machine to enforce the automatic

termination of unused sessions.

2. Configure ITS, SAP gateway and ITS to support more RFC connections.

Please apply the following steps in the given order until the problem

is resolved:

a) Set environment variable CPIC_MAX_CONV to a value > 100 on the ITS

server and reboot the system.

b) Increase the profile value gw/max_conn and gw/max_sys on the SAP

gateway to support more parallel connections. If you run into

memory bottlenecks also increase gw/max_overflow_size and

gw/max_shm_req.

c) Increase the profile values rdisp/tm_max_no and

rdisp/max_comm_entries on the application server.

Now i have the following query as :

which among BW and EP is the ITS server where i need to make the above changes.

Thanks In Advance,

Vipin.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The first question is do you use integrated or standalone ITS?

Most of our customers these days would use integrated and to answer your question you can change the ITS profile parameters either with transaction "SMICM" or using the Web Admin GUI which is usually accessed at http://icm_host:icm_adminport/<prefix>; (eg /sap/admin/default.html).

For more information on changing the parameters, you can check here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/61/f5183a3bef2669e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Both EP and BW are appliactions built upon SAP WAS (Web Application Server). The integrated ITS then is a service for the ICM (internet communications Manager) which is part of the WAS.

We have a good overview of the Architecture here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0a/a7903febb15a7be10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

For more information you can check here:

ICM : http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/0a/a7903febb15a7be10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Stephen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vipin,

The change should be made on the system that the error occurred on. Which server is the error on? The one that reported the "Connect to SAP gateway failed Connect..."

Edgar

vipin_v2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your helpful pointers!

Hi Edgar,

First of all thanks for replying to my query, the scenario as i mentioned is that we are accessing SAP (BW) reports on frontend (EP) and these errors got displayed inside EP framework window when users tried to access corresponding backend BW reports.

Now i have few quieries if we come up saying that every system (EP, Bw, R3) has it' s own WAS and it' s corresponding ITS server and if that is the case then how i can i access my ITS server located in EP server ?

As far as i know we can' t run transactions inside EP anywhere and with respect to the changes which are required to be carried out in some of the parameters as mentioned by SAP note where can i find these parameters inside EP server?

Thanks In Advance,

Vipin.

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vipin,

Well you need to answer Stephen's question first, regarding if your system is Integrated ITS or Stand-alone ITS.

Assuming you are Integrated ITS then you will probably not need to do step 2a in note 316877, that is a Windows environment variable.

As far as accessing your Integrated ITS on the EP server...this is probably not possible since Enterprise Portal usually does not have an ITS. If there is though you can logon to the App Server and go to transaction SICF to find the ITS. Drill down in the menu /default_host/sap/bc/gui/sap/its/webgui. Once you right click on Webgui you can choose to "Test service". This same technique can be done any of your application servers.

Anyhow, for your issue it's pretty clear that the issue with the BW system. That is the system that is displaying the reports and showing the error from your description.

Edgar