cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Start of Lot Size Grouping' and 'Lot Size Strategy' parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

For "by period" lot sizing procedure, could anyone explain the difference between:

- "Start of Lot Size Grouping" flagged with "Lot Size Strategy": 1

- "Start of Lot Size Grouping" flagged with "Lot Size Strategy": blank ?

I have played around with both options and both produced the same result. If anyone could provide some insight , I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is used together with the period lot-sizing procedure, which is set using the Period Lot Size indicator.

We can specify when we want the system to start grouping the demands together (so, when the grouping horizon starts).

The two options of "Blank " or "1', there is thrid option "2".

Blank: The combined demand is placed in the first period of the grouping horizon where demand exists.

1: The combined demand is placed in the first period of the grouping horizon. The first period of the grouping horizon can be different than the period in which demand exists.

In your scenario, I think both the periods are matching, threfore, you are getting same results.

I hope this will help us to clarify.

Regards

Datta Kadam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Datta,

Thank you for your help.

You indicated that the "The first period of the grouping horizon can be different than the period in which demand exists".

How would the first period be different? What other elements could be considered for the start of the horizon?

For example, Periodic Lot of 4 weeks, Lot Size Strategy 1 or blank and Start of Lot Sizing Group Flagged produced the exactly same result. What is interesting about it, is that with Lot Size Strategy "blank" the group production quantity is placed in a bucket where there is no demand. The results with Lot Size Strategy "1" makes sense as I have the grouped quantity placed in a bucket where I have shortage due to Safety Days requirement and not necessarily demand.

w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6 w7 w8

Total Demand 125 42 42 41 110 37 73

Production (Planned) 223 244

Days´ Supply 58 53 48 43 58 53 48 43

Safety Days´ Supply 43 43 43 43 43 43 43 43

Any thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Izabella,

For example, Periodic Lot of 4 weeks, Lot Size Strategy 1 or blank and Start of Lot Sizing Group Flagged produced the exactly same result. What is interesting about it, is that with Lot Size Strategy "blank" the group production quantity is placed in a bucket where there is no demand. The results with Lot Size Strategy "1" makes sense as I have the grouped quantity placed in a bucket where I have shortage due to Safety Days requirement and not necessarily demand.

w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6 w7 w8

Total Demand 125 42 42 41 110 37 73

In this exmple , first period of Group Horizon is w1 and first period where demand exists is also w1.

Please make the changes as below, making w1 demand 0.

w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6 w7 w8

Total Demand 0 42 42 41 110 37 73

Now, first period of grouping horizon is w1 which will be used in option 1

AND First period where demand exists is w2. Blank indication option will place demnad in W2.

Here you should get difference output with indication "blank' and '1'.

I hope this clarifies.

Regards

Datta