cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper method for cleaning up NWDI tracks??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looking for some advice on how to go about cleaning up our NWDI environment as the many tracks we have are no longer in use and could be deleted to reclaim space in the database. We are currently running on Netweaver 7.01 SP05 and have approximately 8 tracks that this condition is true. I could go into the DTR and delete the resources associated with the track and then delete the tracks themselves but I wanted to know if there is any "proper" way of doing things to avoid the "uh oh" factor. Please offer your methods if this is something you've had success with. Thanks much!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,<br>

<br>

There are several ways, here I post you mine. Worked great several times for me.<br>

<br>

1. : <br>

Tell all developers to activate or reverse all open activites and to remove the development configuration of the tracks you want to delete, from there studios.<br>

<br>

2.:<br>

Open activites will prevent the dtr-shell tool we will use later from deleting the worksapces. So I would not trust the developers. So fire up DTR Gui in a browser (http://server:port/dtr). choose system tools->reports->activity search or just add /system-tools/reports/ActivityQuery behind /dtr in the url.<br>

Select the /dev/inactive workpsace of the first SC in the track and check the "open only" checkbox. and see what will happen. in the best case there should be none. To play it save you have to check every /dev/actvie and /dev/inactive workspace of every SC in the track if you are some kind of paranoid check the cons too ;o). This would be the clean way. The quick and dirty one is just to use the dtr-tool to delete the workspaces it will tell you if there are open activites, but that is more like the "oh ah, yeah" approach...<br>

If there are open activites you can revert them yourself in the DTR GUI its one of the buttons in the upper right corner.<br>

<br>

3.:<br>

The next thing I do is to delete the track in CMS. Just by clicking delete button. This steps prevents developers to still use the track. It will tell you that this will not affect DTR, but you already know that I guess.<br>

<br>

4.:<br>

After the track is deleted, I delete or lock all users which have been using this and only this track. If you have a extended security concept at place you might although want to delete the track related groups and mybe roles in the UME.<br>

<br>

5.:<br>

Manualy Create a DTR Client in the DTR perspective of your developer studio. you should at least have access to the "trackid" folder of the track you want to delete. If you are confident with what you are doing you can although just enter the /dtr url which wil give you access on the /ws folder of DTR. But you can delete stuff you want not to delete this way by accident...<br>

<br>

6.:<br>

The next step is to delete the workspaces in the DTR. This can be, more or less, easily done with the DTR command line tool. You can find it in your developerstudios installation folder under /eclipse/tools/dtr. Usually you have to chage some parameters in the bat files if you start it the first time:<br>

The path to the JDK is missing in dtrshell.bat. enter something like this:<br>

set JAVA_HOME="G:\tools\java\jdk1.5.0_06"<br>

If you start the batchfile you should be asked for username and password. and you will be connected to the dtr cleint you created in step 5.<br>

Here you can find some info about the tool: <br>http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/45/3fdd7f58077526e10000000a114a6b/frameset.htm<br>

The command of interest ist the DELETEWORKSPACE command. you can get the workspace name for the -w option with the WORKSPACES command. You have to delete all /dev/active /dev/inactive /cons/active /cons/inactive worksapces of every SC in the track! I did this on a track with 43 customer SCs once this may take some while. don't depend to much on the worksapces command it will sometimes still show workspaces you just deleted. So check the DTR gui it will show you an actual view on what is going on. the dtrshell will only delete the folder contents of the workspaces. so ypu will still see dev and cons folders... we will delete them in the next step.<br>

<br>

7.:<br>

Now we delete the remainig folder of the track in dtr. Open the dtrgui in a browser. and navigate to the /ws folder. Now grep the url in your browse, something like this :http://server:port/dtr/ws and copy it to your clipbord. Now choose "open.." in the files menu of Internet Explorer. Past the url and don't forget to check the "open as webfolder" checkbox. DTR will be opened in a explorer like window. here you can delete the remainig folder of your track be hitting "del" on the folder. Please note that recursive delete is not possible so you have to do it bottom up.<br>

<br>

8.:<br>

Congrats mate!! You have cleanly removed every part of your track.<br>

<br>

Hope this will help you. If so rewards are always welcome. But I had fun too writing it.<br>

<br>

See you around<br>

Jan<br>

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

following information may be helpful,

[|]

note 864515 855537

and this [ blog|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/2066] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Best regards,

John