SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding custom application form for bill printing / invoicing

Former Member
0 Kudos

We used application form (trancode EFRM) using form type SAPScript for our bill printing (such as bill preview via EA40).

We have the same mechanism using the RDI option to generate a flat file that we send to a 3rd party vendor to print the bills that go to the customers.

After upgrading to ECC6, we are planning to overhaul bill printing. My questions are:

1) Which of the form types is better - SAPScript, SMARTForm, PDF Based?

2) Is there a documentation that explains the advantages/disadvantages of each when used in IS-U bill printing?

3) SAPScript based can be created on the fly and I assume that is also the case for SMARTForms. If going for PDF-based, is there a tool or driver or whatever that needs to be installed first? Is there a cost involve?

4) I know that using SAPScript, we will still be able to retain the file creation part using RDI option. Is that capability still available when using SMARTForm and/or PDF Based?

I apologize for so many questions. I really appreciate if someone can show me a good documentation that explains these.

Thanks and kind regards.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

-If you are already using SAP script then I feel there is no point in changing to SMARTFORMS, it would be too much of rework and too much of testing as invoice is a critical document.

-Desgin wise smartforms are simpler but if already there is already designed there no pint in reqorking.

-Smartforms can be used and RDI file can be generated by using smartforms in EFRM.

-A normal smartform output be easily converted to PDF using one simple function module but in your case it is not required as you need a RDI file which is sent to third part tool.

-There are also ADOBE interactive forms but they are used for different purpose.

-I do not have any document supporting my above statments, I am writting with my experience.

- In any ISU project:

Form is developed using EFRM.

SAP script or smartforms are used.

Output is taken in RDI file and sent to third part for printing.

That is the fastest way of doing it and you are doing same thing. As per my knowledge changing way of printing will not help much, only there would be too much of work is inviled.

Regards,

Pranaya

0 Kudos

Hi Pranaya,

We are using smartforms for our bill printing. But as our customer base has increased it takes a lot of time to generate output.

For 1500 customers it takes 4 hours to generate spool.

We are now planning to outsource the printing activity to third party.

Please suggest me whether we should go for RDI file generation from SAP Script of from SMARTFORMS.

If RDI file can be generated from smartforms then can you give me more information on how RDI file can be generated. And using RDI file from smartforms will be effective in time reduction or not?

Regards

Dishant Gajjar

0 Kudos

Some important points to consider.

1,2)

RDI is only possible from SAPScript. SmartForms have an equivalent which is called XSF or XDF and these are XML based vs record based for RDI. The PDF based forms also have an equivalent for Raw data output which is XFP.

So if you already have been using RDI in an external system the mapping processes in that system would need to change to adapt to the new format.

Since all of these formats provide Raw data output, the one to choose is just based on 1) your preferences when it comes to SAPScript, SmartForms vs PDF-based print forms. And I would say also which data formats the external system can support. (If we are talking StreamServe all of these work - though I would say that when comparing these SmartForms/XSF is probably the one that should be avoided if possible since the XML generated is unnecessary complex).

All of the raw data output formats are documented on ICC:

[BC-XSF|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/fe7e4f72-0501-0010-01ba-fd4d3474dce2] [original link is broken];

[BC-XFP|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/e0eb1ddf-a472-2910-39ad-92849cd0cb55] [original link is broken];

[BC-RDI|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/541a5b72-0501-0010-cfba-ca2fe65be11a] [original link is broken];

3)

For XFP you need to set up at least one spool device with device type XFP. You should use option "Without context evaluation" when generating the XFP data for best performance. Since there is no need for a layout in XFP scenario for PDF-based no additional cost should be needed. There is a SAP note on the licensing topic for PDF-based print forms...

4)

Each of the raw data output formats would result in Spool files in the spool system (depending on how you set it up). What exactly do you mean with "retain the file creation part"?

0 Kudos

Dishant,

Your problem is a perfect use case of StreamServe which also would bring other benefits to the table, but high-volume is certainly one of the core capabilities ...

http://ecohub.sdn.sap.com/irj/ecohub/solutions/streamserveutilities