cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockbox -Residual item - Reason code - FLB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I would appreciate if you could help me on the following.

1. During lockbox processing (FLB2), will SAP create residual item for invoices with partial payments?

2. If yes, will SAP populate reason code as well?

3. Is there any configuration that need to be maintained for lockbox to create residual item and populate reason code?

Thank you,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. During lock processing, whether lock box post residual or partial payments is controlled in configuration. In transaction code OBAY, defaul is residual, or you can choose partial payment.

2. Lockbox will not populate reason code by default. In the BAI2 format, there is a field for reason code. Either you can work with the bank to populate that field. In our company we have a custom pre processing program that populate the field with a default reason code for all residual payments. During post processing, users change that to appropriate different reason codes depending on whether they going to write it off or keep it as a residual open itme on customer.

3. You can control the population of reason code using substitution rules. For example any payment difference that is less than $50, you can write a substitution rule populate a certain reason code during posting. There is no standard configuration to do this.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul for the detailed reply. This would help.

I would appreciate if you could provide clarifications on the following.

1. In OBAY, if I set it to create residual items, how would overpayments for an invoice be handled? Will it create a customer credit residual item, or would it post the payment to the customer account?

2. In our company we plan to create a lockbox pre-processing program as well, to create the BAI2 file. In such a pre-processing program how would you identify the partial payment line items, so that you could populate the default reason code.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram

1. The over payment will create a credit residual item on customer account if it is over the tolerance limit. You can issue this credit memo number to customer that they can use on their next payment.

2. The reason code population can be done in several different ways depending on requirement. In our company, whenever there is partial payment, bank identifies it and put an external reason code (Bank's own code) on the BAI2 file. In configuration you can map the external code to an internal SAP reason code.Here is where you do the configuration for that in img - financial accounting- AR/AP- business transactions-incoming payments- incoming payments global settings- over payment/under payment-define conversion of reason codes.

Most bank will be able to make this population for you. If this does not work, you will have to ask your abaper to input the logic to identify the partial payment depending on the document amount and populate the reason code.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul for your detailed answers. This helped me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Paul for all the info - It answered all the questions I had except for one

How would the bank know whether a payment is partial/not for them to change reason codes ? as they would not have our invoice info.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ramanuja_charysripada
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

you have to put the tick mark for partial payments under t-code OBAY

With this indicator, you can specify that payments received with this

flag active will be posted as partial payments in that case where the

payment is insufficient for full clearing. The default behavior is to

generate residual items with such payment receipt.

with regards

ramanuja chary