cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAS Database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

has anyone tried to use the internal WAS database? I've read there is the chance to use it in order to store custom data without creating a brand new one.

I've no idea on how link to this database and if there are some drawbacks.

Roberto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roberto,

An internal data store, called an MDO, for MII will be coming in 12.2. Stay tuned...

Regards,

Kevin

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

now i've understood how shared memory works, and unfortunately it's not what I was looking for.

My need is to store several values linked to the same user operation and if needed get historical data for these values. I think the right way is to use a table in a database, and it could be useful to use the internal Was Db.

Any docs about it?

thanks for your previous answers.

regards,

roberto

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

Have you given any thought to creating an xml document to store the data in (as a shared property or saved on the Web side of the workbench)? Or possibly using the map or list datatypes in shared properties? I guess I do not have a clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

I guess I also do not understand what you mean by WAS DB. Is that the underlying NW database or are you talking about something associated with the ERP system?

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Mar 18, 2010 1:55 PM

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depending upon your underlying NW database you'll need to upload the appropriate JDBC driver and go after it that way. The built-in NW datasource connection can be bridged as a Datasource connection, but will be too restrictive to use.

Just stay away from tables starting with XMII_ and depending upon the database you might want to consider an additional namespace, schema, etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Roberto:

I did what you are asking for.

If you are not in 12.2 and use MDO, you can use the WAS database to store your data. I have discussed with several coleagues the pros and cons of doing it. I think it is the best way to maintain the application as a unity.

You only have to take into account the rules for naming the tables. The same way the custom tables should start by Z (or X or Y) at an ABAP stack database, at a Java one they should start by TMP_ .

Regardless of the name, the way to do the connection is creating a JDBC DataSource Alias in the NWA ((NWA -> Configuration Management --> Infrastructure --> Application Resources) copying XMIDATASOURCE or creating a new one depending on SYSTEM_DRIVER (that is an Open SQL Driver independent on the underlying actual database). For example, your JDBC DataSource Alias could be MYOWNDATASOURCE

Then you can create a MII DataServer, type DataSource, and you shuld use jdbc/MYOWNDATASOURCE as the name of the datasource in the Connection tab.

Best Regards,

Fran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

Why not have a specific schema for the data on the factory floor?

Why use the same schema WAS?

Using the same schema WAS there is no risk of loss on an upgrade from MII?

There is some inconvenience in using a different schema?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

what about shared memories properties? I've seen where put new values but I've no idea how to use them in transaction.

Could you post some links about it?

Thanks,

Roberto

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer to this document on shared properties in 12.1

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/4081f4e0-8986-2b10-23ad-abde64e371d9?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Adarsh

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roberto,

It sometimes helps to think of Shared Memory properties as Global Properties that are limited to a single project's transactions and can be modified dynamically. Once modified they stay modified until changed from the Shared Properties editor in the main MII menu or dynamically within a transaction. Be aware that you can edit the default values in the Meta-Inf portion of the Workbench, but that will not change the current cached (actually saved in the NW database) values.

Note: This very limited analogy is only for your initial thoughts on their use and applies only to persistent types, not inline. I would do as Adarsh suggested and go through the documentation.

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are using xMii 12.1.

Our need is to store data coming directly from plant, I thought the smartest way is to use WAS DB.

What are the built-in options in v12.1 to store data?

thanks,

roberto

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roberto,

First take a look at the Shared Memory properties. Look at the data types available as well. You can use these as a persistent or as inline types. If this is a possibility, start asking for more details. I will caution you on the persistent types as these are exposed to multiple transactions which can do modifications concurrently.

Second, think about using a Message Listener to receive data into categories. Not sure what your mechanism for Shop Floor data retrieval, but it is pretty handy to simply queue up data and process it later. Generally it is used more for ERP data (IDOCs, etc.), but if you are using webservices, you may want to try this option also.

You can also direct store various file types in the workbench Web folder tab. If you volume is not that heavy, this is a good place to put data.

For certain types of data, it sometimes worthwhile to write it to a historian, but generally I tend to stay away from this option. Process engineering types tend to be protective of their historians and how others use them.

Just some thoughts. If you can give some more specifics on the sort of data you are interested in maintaining for MII, I may have some other suggestions.

Regards,

Mike

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Roberto,

What version of MII are you using? And what type of custom data are trying to save?

Starting with 12.0 and continuing with 12.1, etc. there are a lot of new options for retaining static data without using a database directly.

Regards,

Mike