cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Migrating SAP server from one system to another

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Gurus

I need your expert advice with the following issue.

We have ECC6.0 and Enterprise Portal installed on a windows 2003 server with 4 gig memory for demo work (Pre-sales).

Lately we are seeing lots of performance issues and so would like migrate to a faster server. Keeping the budget in mind

we would like to go for Windows-7 64 bit so that we can have atleast 8 gig memory and about 250 gig disc space.

How easy is to migrate from the old server to the new server without losing any data that we have created (lots of custom BAPIs and Tables etc.,)

Is it as simple as install the new server and then create the transport request package of BAPIs and TABLES on the old system and import it into the new server OR is there any thing else that I need to be looking for. Also, is Windows-7 64 Bit a supported platform for SAP.

I am sure lots of you have already done this and might have acquired good knowledge. I would appreciate if you can please share that with me.

Thanks

Ram

Edited by: Prasad Ram on Mar 17, 2010 2:39 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it a lot. I was able to get info on system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

I am not sure whether Windows-7 64 bit is a supported platform or not. Please check that in PAM (Product Availability Matrix).

Apart from that the thing you are trying to achieve is not much of a complex activity. By means of System Copy you can achieve what you are trying to do. System Copy is the building of a new system on the new platform using an existing offline database and moreover keeping the SID same. This will retain all of your data (Custom BAPIs and tables and all those) and save you from tedious activity of creating innumerable transport requests and importing them.

Please visit SAP Service market place for System Copy Guide. By the way can you let us know is the current platform is also 64 bit?

Let us know if you have any more concerns.

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot sourabh for the quick resposne. The present operating system is Windows 2003 - 32 Bit system

I will also check SAP services for the document.

Thanks again for the help.

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Just another little advice. If your database is also 32 bit then you have to run a script "utlirp.sql" (which invalidates all the 32 bit pl/sql packages and recompiles them for 64 bit) while restoring database at a step in system copy. This step is for Oracle, I am not sure about other databases.

Also if your OS and DB platform is not changing then you don't have to perform migration. Look for homogeneous system copy guide in service market place.

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Sourabh. I appreciate all the advice. I will work on it and will keep you posted.