cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can TDMS be used to do homogeneous database copy?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I raise this question is that for our tarabyte size DB, BDLS is too long (days!).

I know TDMS is also slow, however BDLS can be avoid.

We want to try TDMS for homogeneous DB copy -- change SID during copy. Is it possible and feasible?

Please help input your opinions.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello David,

From your post i feel your motive is conversion of logical system name (LOGSYS).Under this case using TDMS will be a cumbersome job for you. You'll have to manage central, receiver, sender systems.

Also from your point of Homogeneous system copy i think you want complete data.TDMS is preferred when you want reduced set of data.

Its a tradeoff.I think you can find some better ways to improve BDLS performance.

Best Regards

Niraj

Edited by: Niraj Kumar Soni on Mar 17, 2010 6:09 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you.

I have another question that is since TDMS is for reduced set of data, how is the data integrity guaranteed? Can we use it

to :

1) reduce the size of a production system

2) then use this reduced production system as a production system?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hello David,

TDMS has its own internal logic of selecting the data (table entries) based on the from date you might choose and hence it gurantees the consistenct transfer of data from one system (possibly your production or quality system) to the other system.

But you can't use this copy for the production use.

SAP TDMS is not a generic data transfer tool. It is designed exclusively for building up nonproduction

systems (test systems, training systems etc.) and for refreshing the data in systems built

up by means of SAP TDMS. It even includes a specific check for making sure that the target

system is not flagged as a production system.

So the answer to both the question will be NO. you can't use the reduced data system to productive use.

Best Regards

Niraj

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

YannPines
Associate
Associate
0 Kudos

Hello David,

To reduce the size of your productive system, archiving is the way to go.

Many vendor offer solution in this field but SAP recomend Open Text software.

Regards,

Yann

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

Your requirement to use TDMS is not clear from your message. If you want to create a full copy of your system then it is recommended that you use SAP system copy. We will be able to help you once you state your requirement clearly.

Regards

Pankaj.