cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg Max DB roll forward

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have SAP MAX DB database in our environment.

We used the Database Dump file and the Backup log files to build the database and roll forward the logs.

But when we try to do the same activity again using the same Database Dump file and Roll Forward using the same Backup Log Files, we cannot perform the same activity again. When we actually used the Database Dump again, it did not even provide a Option to Roll Forward the logs

Please advice if it is possible to do roll forward

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

you're not overly specific on the things you've done and you're also not using MaxDB specific terminology.Both of those two might help your case...

What I can imagine you forgot when trying the second 'roll forward' on the same box: you did not perform an initialization + recovery or db_activate + recovery when trying a subsequent time. If it is NOT initlized, you are doing a normal recovery and there is already log information onb the log that will not be overwritten by your data recovery ('database dump').

In short: in order for you to recover both data + log on an existing db instance, you need to do an init + recovery.

Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After we do the roll forward for the first time, we did the following

1. Executed Save point

2. Took a Backup of the current database after first restore

Please let me know if i am missing any steps before doing a second restore

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Balaji Rajendran,

1. What is the MAXDB database version?

2. Are you SAP customer?

3. Please review the document u201CSetting Up and Updating Standby Instancesu201D

at MAXDB library http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/default.htm -> Tutorials -> Tutorial Database Administration

4. There is documentation available in section u201CBackup / Recoveryu201D at

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/SAP+MaxDB -> SAP MaxDB HowTo

5. Please let us know the database version & what document or SAP note did you follow for the database administration and we could help you further.

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Answers (0)