cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best strategy for creating tdms systems from a production system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best strategy for creating a realiable, consistent tdms test system with our production system as source.

According to SAP, to prevent inconsistencies, your sender system needs to be unused during the data selection and transfer phase. This takes about 2 days in our case.

This brings me to 3 possible strategies:

1. Lock the users of our production system for 2 days (very unlikely that the business will approve this)

2. Use our backup system as sender (this means more than a week with decent backup system that is not sync)

3. Restore a backup of our production system to another locaten and use that system (extra disk capacity necessary)

Neither one of these strategies is ideal.

Does someone have another idea? I would really like to know how this is handled in other companies.

kind regards,

Nicolas De Corte

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not anything new than what you have already stated, it is an extension of point no. 2.

The best approach will be to create a copy of your production system in a sandbox box system temporarily, the same can be achieved in a very short time using some modern technologies like snapshot.

This will have multiple advantages like your production system is safe, performance of production is not affected also TDMS run will be faster (because of dedicated sender system).

I hope this helps.

Regards

Pankaj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One reason why we bought TDMS is to reduce the necessary disk space. If we need to keep 4TB (size of our production db) free on our test system to create a copy of production, we can as wel create a regular test system instead of a TDMS test system

kind regards,

Nicolas De Corte