cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating own shop-floor interface

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible for MII to use own build interface (to a machine)? I would like to develop an interface to a machine (for example SECS interface) and this interface should be able to integrate with MII so that MII could parse it to certain structure.

thanks

sengkiang

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hmmm quite complicated

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have the protocol document for SECS equipment, try using Kepware U-CON tool. This tool has the combination of device driver plus OPC server. Any instruction or command to the SECS equipment can be created as a OPC tag. This OPC tag can be accessed using MII Query template. If you would like to build a logic around it, you can use Transaction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sengkiang,

MII can connect to shop floor systems. I recommend reviewing the data server topic, especially the connector type section, in the online [help|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_xmii120/helpdata/en/45/50cfd9a74e1794e10000000a1553f6/content.htm].

Regards,

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin

I mean, I would like to connect MII to an equipment. The equipment that I am having has SECS interface (standard interface for semiconductor industry).

I do not think MII does have this kind of interface. Therefore I would like to develop an interface and "plug it in" MII. First question, is this possible? What kind of plug-in could I develop? A dll? Can I thereafter configured the plug in in MII?

Or the above question sound ridiculous? The other way is to create an external SECS-XML interface-server, where MII is connected to the server (XML) and then transform the XML to SECS (to equipment) and vice versa.

I would prefer the first one. But is this possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure you can connect to this type of device. Your best bet is to try a web service or OLE DB connection. If you are pulling tag data from the device, then you can use UDS or PCo depending on your situation. From there MII can retrieve data. You may have to have a middle layer as mentioned in your second option.

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you talking about using MII to "talk" directly to a device or are you talking about using MII to connect to a SCADA system using OPC? If it is the latter, you can establish communication to a SCADA system and then a shop floor interface can be built.

former_member202228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If you want to connect directly to the machine, try build a "middleware" which should bridge the SECS with one of the MII connectors (such as the XML one). Ideally the middleware should run on the machine side (windows service / daemon process or embedded, if necessary) and be open to the MII connector queries on a specific port/IP address.

Thus, depending on what's running on the machine side, it's your choice of platform/language for developing the middleware.

Another idea is to use Java and do all interfacing through BLS transactions, but is not that open as the above middleware, where you can use it directly with any other XML enabled applications (given the XML standards used in its development).

0 Kudos

For SECS interfaces to equipment we (SAP) typically recommend a partner, SystemA, in the High-Tech Semi-conductor space as they have a SECS/GEM connector with IFA support for high-volume data collection.  This implementation from SystemA is based on the standard SAP manufacturing offering and has had lots of success in the past.

Sam