0 Kudos

Hi,

We have NW2004s, Oracle 10g under Windows 2003 server

We have 4 partitions

C drive OS,

D drive SAP application

E drive SAP and Archived Logs

F drive Oracle Database

we take everyday backup for "CD" drive using Symantec exec backup utility, when we include EF drive with Symantec backup,

while backup Oracle database off automatically...

so we decided we can do "E+F" drive using BRTools backup offline

When I schedule offline backup database off... and I have to manually turn on oracle engine...

also how do I know offline backup is done or successfully even

What is the best way to take oracle backup using BRTools?

Please some advise...

Thank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

when we include E+F drive with Symantec backup,
while backup Oracle database off automatically...

Which version of Backup Exec is in use ?

Please refer About backing up Oracle resources subtopic of Symantec Backup Exec Agent for Oracle on Windows or Linux Servers of this "[Symantec Backup Exec (TM) 2010 Administrator's Guide (English)|http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/338514.pdf]" guide to get detailed information. Please read it carefully and configure the separate Backup Job for your Oracle Instance.

As per the Oracle Backup Options mentioned in that guide, If you perform Backup of Oracle Instance with "Perform the backup offline", then it will take the database offline before starting the backup job. Backup Exec brings the database online after the backup job is complete. You can deselect it if you do not want to perform Offline Backup using Backup Exec.Lot of things are mentioned in that Guide. Please refer it.

Alternatively, you can use the following possible options for scheduling Oracle DB Backup.

Option-1

You can Use DB13 Backup job "Full Database Online + redo log Backup" (it is equal to consistent offline backup) to perform Backup on Remote Disk location. Then You can move this Backup image to Tape using your existing Backup Exec Software utility. You can use DB12- Backup Logs to get information about the all successful backups.

Option-2

You can prepare a script as mentioned following to perform offline/online backup in Windows usin BRBACKUP command with some log file reporting and schedule it using Task Scheduler.

You will have to change backup_dev_type = disk, backup_root_dir = <local Disk director path> parameters in init<SID>.sap file.

ORA<SID>_OFFLINE_BKP.bat

::Taking Offline Backup of ORA<SID>

set logfile=<drive>:\Scripts\log\<SID>_Stop_LOG.txt

set sdate=%date%

set stime=%time%

echo. >> %logfile%

echo %sdate% >> %logfile%

echo %stime% >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

brbackup -u system/manager -c -m all -t offline >> %logfile%

or

brbackup -u system/manager -c -m all -t online_cons >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My suggestion is to take the backup using DB13 that will internally uses the BRTOOLS only.

SAP will always suggest you to use the SAP tools only other than scripts and other tools.

So better option is to use DB13 to schedule the offline or online backup.

Thanks,

Chaitanya.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shroff,

Thanks a lot for your time, I really appriciated, you explain very good Thank again!

Chaitanya said you can use BRtools through DB13, ok I am agree with that, but my question to Chaitanya, If I am doing offline backup through DB13 and schedule it... when backup run DB offline, how do you know backup will done and how long it will take... you have no options unless you go command prompt and count number of database files done...

Shroff I am not sure what ver. we are uisng for symantac backup exec. utility, its network team handle, but I can make sure with that, also I know we are not using Agent for that, thats why its database off...

I like your point try Full backup + redo logs, is that option will be off database too... ?

and batter I can try with create dos script to database down and schedule in windows task schedule... before run symantic backup and after symantic backup it will be on again...

Thanks you all guys again!!!

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I am doing offline backup through DB13 and schedule it... when backup run DB offline, how do you know backup will done and how long it will take... you have no options unless you go command prompt and count number of database files done...

you have to check the backup log created under /oracle/DBSID/sapbackup/

I like your point try Full backup + redo logs, is that option will be off database too... ?

Offline backups are always consistent without redo logs. so until and unless you require a point in time recovery you won't require the redologs with offline backup.

Check the meaning of different backup modes

http://help.sap.com/SAPHELP_NW70EHP1/helpdata/EN/0d/d3094c4a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm

Regards,

Debasis.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I am doing offline backup through DB13 and schedule it.

If you are performing Offline Backup using DB13, then you can examine the relevant job log in order to ensure that the offline backup has been executed without errors.

try Full backup + redo logs, is that option will be off database too... ?

"Full Online Backup + Redo log" will perform Online backup with redo log files. It will not shutdown the DB. Are you getting this action in your DB13 ?

If you are not using any Third Party Backup agent and want to perform Offline Backup, then..

-> You can use DB13 offline backup job to perform Disk-to-Disk backup. and then perform Disk-to-Tape File level Backup using Backup Exec s/w

-> You can put the dependency of the Offline Backup script on the Backup Job options (pre & post command script), so it will be invoked based on the completion of the script. If the script finished without any error, then the Backup Exec job will perform file level backup (based on the selected Backup folder , where DB13 job has dumped the backup) to Tape.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi shroff,

Thanks for provided this information and script, could you please provide me how to restore offline and online backup ?

set logfile=<drive>:\Scripts\log\<SID>_Stop_LOG.txt

set sdate=%date%

set stime=%time%

echo. >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

brbackup -u system/manager -c -m all -t offline >> %logfile%

or

brbackup -u system/manager -c -m all -t online_cons >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

echo. >> %logfile%

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use BR*tools to perform restore from online/offline backup. BRRESTRORE and BRRECOVER programs play important role for restore and recovery operation of DB.

Please refer this useful document "[Oracle Restore and Recovery|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/97a4f439-0d01-0010-d488-d29b45e2f5ab&overridelayout=true]" to get more detailed information.

You can achieve Complete DB recovery, point-in-time recovery ,etc using valid Online/Offline Backups.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

One HDD with 4 partitions

C = Operating system

D = SAP application

E = Archived + Redo logs + system logs

F = Database Files

Symantec Exec backup utility will take every day backup for CD drive and I will setup for Oracle 10g backup included EF drives

Requirements

1 u2013 Everyday full / whole online backup Monday u2013 Friday at 9:00pm, with archived logs

2 u2013 Every Saturday Full offline backup at 9:00pm

3 u2013 Full online Restore with archived and redo logs

4 u2013 Full offline restore command

Could you please provide answers or commands, I will schedule, use DB13, please advised me how to restore them

Thank in advance

Angeline

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Again,

One HDD with 4 partitions

C = Operating system

D = SAP application

E = Archived + Redo logs + system logs

F = Database Files

Symantec Exec backup utility will take every day backup for CD drive and I will setup for Oracle 10g backup included EF drives

*Requirements

1 u2013 Everyday full / whole online backup Monday u2013 Friday at 9:00pm, with archived logs

2 u2013 Every Saturday Full offline backup at 9:00pm

3 u2013 Full online Restore with archived and redo logs

4 u2013 Full offline restore command

Could you please provide answers or commands, I will schedule, use DB13, please advised me how to restore them

Thank in advance

Angeline

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer [this thread|]. I have given the possible reply for all such same questions.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it looks like Travis = Angeline.

I am locking this duplicate ... and plllllease, use only 1 user ID.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angeline,

At the end of BRTOOLS backup it must be show whether the backup is successful or not. Also you can check the latest .afd file created in the directory <drive>/oracle/<SID>sapbackup to know whether the database backup was successful or not.

There is no such best way, in fact you can set "verify backup" option as yes so that after the backup is over, BRTOOLS will verify the taken backup and output the result.

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar