cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore SAP from Windows 2003 Backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am facing lot of issues after applying SP in SAP ECC5.0, Now i want to restore from my Windows back up.

Please let me know what are the measures that i have to take before restoring os backup.

Please suggest me if there are any alternatives.

Details:

SAP R/3 : ECC5.0

Database : Oracle10G

Thanks

VJ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can restore Database using Online or Offline Backup. Provide your recent backup tape to Tape Library and Perform Restore to Original Location or to another location.

Following General Steps will be there in Restore Operation.

1. Restore Offline Backup (Do not Open DB, after completion of Restore) using Data Protector or by BR*Tools (manually).

2. Recover DB using Backup Control File & by applying available Offline Redolog Files (Complete Recovery or Point-in-Time Recovery can be performed)

3. Open DB with RESETLOGS option.

You can refer these useful document "[Oracle Restore & Recovery|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/97a4f439-0d01-0010-d488-d29b45e2f5ab?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]" to get more information on Different Restore & Recovery Scenarios.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VJ,

we are also using HP Data Protector 6 for our Tape Backups.

1. Did you make the backup while the SAP System and the Database where closed?

2. Did you backup all the local drives and the configuration?

When you can say Yes to 1. and 2. it should be not Problem to Restore the old Backup.

You dont have to delete anythin, just start the restore.

It would be good if you do a complete File Backup, with closed SAP and DB, before the restore.

I did the restore several times without any Problems.

Best Regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Yes we are having backup while the SAP System and the Database where closed and also we had backup all the local drives and the configuration.

This is the first time i want to restoring the backup, so can you please guide me step by step procedure for resote backup before activities and after restore activies to perform.

Thanks

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo VJ,

just start Data Protecor, chose Restore from the Pull Down Menu.

Go to Filesystem, chose your SAP Machine, mark all drives and the Configuration.

Under the Rider Destination chose "Restore to original location", File Conflict handling chose "Overwrite"

Under the Rider Options mark "Omit unrequired incrementals", "Restore time attributes" and "restore protection attributes"

Under the Rider Device chose the Device where the tapes are located

Under the Rider Media make shure that there are no tapes under "Non-resident media" listed, if there are any, you have to mount the needed tapes and scan the slots.

Click the button "Restore" and go get some coffee )

After the restore is finished, restart the machine.

All things should be fine.

Best Regards

Peter

Edited by: Peter Riedel on Mar 12, 2010 5:01 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How was your backup taken ?

Brbackup or 3rd party software..

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

We are using 3rd party tool HP Data protector.

We are taking complete offline backup, weekly once.

Please let me know how to go ahead.

Thanks

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

OK...

Shutdown everything then

Delete all sapdata files

Delete OriglogsA & B and the MirrlogsA & B

Delete your control files (They will be in the Origlogs / sapdata1 / saparch if you left as standard) check locations from your int<SID>.ora or spfile..

Restore only the files you have deleted. You should be able to get the options on Data protector to select you file systems and files.

Now if it was a clean shutdown and backup the system should start up without needing recovery.

Regards

Mark