cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass background upload of image files

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! We have more than 100000 images to upload into the repository. Is there an easier way to do mass upload through the Data Manager?

Cheers!

SF

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can do mass upload of images through data manager. Follow below mentioned steps:

1. Open Images table in the data manager. Now right click on the records pane and select "Add".

2. This will open a pop-up window. Specify the Data group for image classification. Then click on "Folder" and specify the folder where images are stored. this folder can be on your system or network. Specify all the images which you want to import and click on OK. This will start images import.

3. Now to attach imported images with the product prepare an excel file with "product Number" and "Image name" as 2 columns and connect to this source File through import manager. Map the product number to Product number field of MDM repository and image to image field. perform rest of import step and import data.

this will automatically attach imported images with the products (*image name in the Source file should be same as image name imported in repository)

Please revert if you face any issue.

Regards,

Shiv

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi! I am aware of the image upload function via Data Manager. However, I have over 100000 records and I cannot do the update in one shot. There seems to be a limit of around 3000 images in one go for the upload so I am wondering whether there is a better to do the upload. Please let me know if this is not true as we do get an error if we select all the images. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer in this case.

Regards

SF

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to assign multiple images to a single catalog item through MDM. Cannot get it working for multiple images. Though I can assign the default image to a catalog item but cannot assign multiple images at once. My excel looks like this

Catalog Item IDNode IdImage
ProdANodeACMLProdImg.bmp
ProdBNodeAResProdImg.bmp
ProdCNodeAproduct_pic_2.bmp
ProdDNodeA24XXXX_img.bmp

I am matching records based on catalog item id and node id. But in maching record selection I can only see catalog item id as available. Node ID is from a hierarchy table I think.

Any pointers would help much

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

Yes, i agree it could be 3000 images in one shot, previously it was 2000 images in one shot:

For more details refer this:

But when i look to your Images 1 Lac's (100,000) as per design consideration, i feel rather than mass upload of all these images under One Data group, you need to do Classification of Images by creating Several Data group in the form of hierarchy to get desired images under their desired Data groups. It will help you to maintain images in a better way.

e.g. rather than maintain 100,000 images under Data group Images only.

Maintain it like Data Group

--> Images

-

> Computer

-

>PC(50,000

-

>Laptops(50,000)

I mean as per your repository data maintained you can further categorize images as per your requirement.

After, you have all your Images into your MDM Data Manager in the categorized form, Now do mass upload for your images associated with your main table record using MDM Import Manager. You should have a field in source file say Images/Pictures which should have the same name as you stored for Image name in you data Manager(repositoy).

Thanks and Regards,

Mandeep Saini

siowfong_chen
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mandish,

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately the supplier does not provide the images down to that level of details so we cannot group further by level lower hierarchy. This is the first time we have to load so many images so I didn't even know whether we can have all these images under one data group. One other option will be to use hyperlink but the pain with that is that we have to define the hyperlink field for display on the list view of the catalogue. This means that we will have to have both image field and hyperlink fields on the list view screen. FYI, I am working on the SRM-MDM catalogue here.

I wonder whether it makes a difference if we only save the link of the image rather than the actual image. I will test and update this forum.

Cheers!

SF

Edited by: SF on Mar 11, 2010 8:00 PM

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SF,

As per my understanding, if you store image as a link in MDM, then it will not be stored in actual in MDM repository, and only link to original image will be stored in MDM. During Runtime image will be fetched using link. This should also work fine, unless the connection between MDM and image location is broken, or image is removed/deleted from the original location.

Please see content below from data manager reference guide:

"The storage option (Store in repository/ Link to Original File Only) determines whether or not the object is stored in the repository. If you select Link to Original File Only, MDM expects to find the object file in the original source location. If you decide later to store the object in the repository, you must use the Reimport command to reimport the image from the original location

Regardless of which storage option you choose, MDM automatically creates a thumbnail (if the object is an image or PDF file), stores it in the repository, and uses it for display in MDM."

Yes there is limitation number of images import in one shot. But you can do one thing. Divide Images into different Folder i.e. each folder will have 2-3K of images. Now import images in data manager using these folders.

Regards,

Shiv