cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Average Price Incorrect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have standard pricing in SAP. However, the Moving average price which being calculated for statistical purposes only, in Material master record, shows a value exponentially higher than the standard price, even though we do not have enough inventory into the system to make the moving average price shoot up to an order of several $mns.

I have checked the MBEWH table and the price started shooting up significantly from the standard price a few months ago. I have checked MB5B to see what transactions might have affected the price, but none of the transactions listed there have affected the price to make it shoot up.

What I am speculating is that another program may be errorneously updating the MBEW-VERPR field in MatMas. Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188914
Contributor
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I dont think that any other program will update the MAP field incorrectly, as this would be a dramatic effect the material valuation if you valuate the material with MAP.

SAP follows the same rules with the statistical MAP (in case of standard price valuation) as it does with the normal MAP.

Because of this, such effects happen if the GR is posted while the PO price was incorrect. Hence the MAP is effected, either it becomes too high or too low.

Subsequent goods issues are valuated at this prices.

invoice receipts will then distribute differences to the remaining stock, which turns the MAP into the other directly even with a much bigger difference to your standard price.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jürgen,

The thing is that we do not valuate the materials based on the MAP. It is being calculated and displayed in the material master, by the system, only for informational purposes. Had we been valuating the material based on MAP, I agree with you, this would have been a nightmare.

However, the MAP is being calculated only for statistical purposes. The other thing is that I checked for POs for that material which were posted yesterday, and there were no PO with incorrect prices, which could have changed the MAP. In spite of this the MAP changed and jumped up couple of $mns. There are no GIs or GRs for POs with incorrect prices, which have changed the MAP. Hence I was speculating that there might be a program which might be changing the price incorrectly.

I could be wrong, but help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check out the invoice amount for these PO / GR.

MAP will increase if the invoice is posted with amount less than the GR amount.

If, invoice is posted with zero amount. As at this time the price control was already S, therefore the whole GR/IR amount will be posted to the PRD account. This posting doesn't change the standard price, but updates the MAP.

Check and let me know.

Anand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

I will check and let you know shorhtly. I appreciate your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anand,

I checked for any PO/GR for which invoice was was posted with zero quantity, which could have upset the MAP. However, the last PO posted was in a period where the MAP was correctly calculated. There were no PO/GR posted in those periods in which the MAP started getting messed up.

Can you give more insight as to what could be causing the MAP to jump from a few dollars to several millions, without having that kind of inventory.

Thank you for your help.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check the change history of the PO item, the PO price might have been changed after the goods receipt.

Do you really know that the MAP in your material master was correct the day before yesterday?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We had faced the similar issue some time back and the cause was Zero Value invoice when the stock was less than GR done.

Please check last few transactions.

MAP is updated only at the time of Goods Receipt.

Check if any other goods receipt is done. (movement type 501, 561).

Anand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jürgen & Anand,

First of all I really appreciate your help. Jürgen the MAP was incorrect day before yesterday. As I mentioned in the first post, the MAP has always jumped up abruptly to a ridiculous amounts every period since 10/2009. Since that period the MAP has constantly been jumping up to higher and higher values every period.

Day before yesterday, the MAP was a couple of million dollars less than what it is today, however both today's price and day before yesterday's prices are wrong.

Anand, like I said earlier, the last PO was created and delivered against in Sept 09, at which point the MAP was correct. After that period, since Oct 2009, the MAP started getting messed up. The last PO that was created was delivered against in full at correct price, and invoiced at correct price. So that would not have changed the MAP.

I will still double check everything that you guys have said and get back to you shortly. I really need to resolve this issue and would appreciate your continued support.

Thank you.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

use MR51 transaction instead of MB51 to see the movements for thsi material, here you can see as well invoice receipts and price changes that effects the MAP. (even it is only statistical in your case)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I usually can use transaction S_P00_07000139 to see the development of MAP. I am not sure if this report can be used for materials that are usually valuated with standard price. but you can try it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Jürgen I will try that and get back to you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Considering the fact that I did not find the answer to my question, I hope that posting the question again with a few updates might be enlightening and that you guys can help me.

Question:

We have standard pricing in SAP for a particular material. However, the Moving average price which is being calculated by the system as a default for statistical/informational purposes only, in Material master record, shows a value exponentially higher than the standard price, even though we do not have high volumes of inventory in the system to make the moving average price shoot up to an order of several $millions. The standard price is significantly lower than the Moving average price. In addition to that, there are no transactions in the system which have deviated the moving average price from the standard price by this big amount. The MAP should be within a couple of dollars from standard price, which is not the case here.

I have checked the MBEWH table and the price started shooting up significantly from the standard price a few months ago. I have checked MB5B to see what transactions might have affected the price, but none of the transactions listed there have affected the price to make it shoot up. The only movement types taking place are 161and 252.

I have checked for discrepancies between PO-GR-IR and none of the transactions have a wrong price in them, which usually is the reason why the MAP changes. Also no Goods Issue have discrepancies with the material price, which could have altered the MAP.

I have also checked MR51 to see if I can find some changes to the price, which might have updated the MAP. No accounting documents have been found for this material.

I also checked CKMPCD txn, to see if someone manually changed the price. No one manually changed it.

No material documents have discrepancies, no accounting documents have discrepancies and no one has manually changed the price. No sales documents have price variances with the Material Master price.

There is no other program in the system which is errorneously updating the MBEW-VERPR field in MatMas.

I have tried CKM3N,MR51, MB51, MB5B, custom queries which compare PO-GR-IR prices and quantities and I have checked the tables for these documents and price changes.

The problem is that since the material is valuated at standard price, all the transactions in the system will post according to the standard price, and since the standard price is correct in the material master, all the transactions will be posted correctly. So we can be sure that the transactions have nothing to do with the moving average price.

Interestingly the Moving average price automatically corrected itself in th Material Master and we still do not know why. Yet again there are no transactions that show any changes in the MAP.

Pease help. Nothing seems to have updated the MAP, but the MAP is several millions greater than the Standard price. Any help would be appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Azz,

Did you find any reason for it...I am also facing same problem.....or is any alternative available?

Thanks,

SKD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

we are facing the same issue in PO with returns indicator, i.e. at movement type 161. and only if we have more than one item line. Probably, this is the program bug which does not take second line "returns" indicator.

Also I saw you use 161 and 252, which sounds to me we both use SAP IS Retail.

Have anybody raised ticket to SAP? or found any related Note that fix that calculation?

Cheers,

Adi