cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting old tablespaces after BW upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have recently upgraded our BW Dev server from BW3.5 to BI7 EHP1. In this, during the upgrade a new tablespace was created PSAPPBW701. After upgrade we find that the old tablespaces PSAPPBW620 and PSAPPBW640 are 100% free.

These are occupying almost 45GB of space on the server. Is it recommended to drop these old tablespaces after the upgrade is completed so as to release the space from OS level? Or does it still contains some data which is referenced by the system?

Please help.. Thanks..

Best Regards,

Anup Thatte

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

uwe_theisinger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Anup,

with the following statement you get Information about Objects in the TS

select owner,segment_name from dba_segments where tablespace_name='PSAPDAT640'; (<-- your TS Name)

if it returns 0 rows delete the TS

--drop tablespace 'PSAPDAT640' including contents and datafile;

regards

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the response..

My concern is not Deleting the TS but the decision to do it!! I mean even if there are tables in TS but if those tables are empty then there is no point keeping the tablespace. But my question is it recommended to drop the TS even if it contains empty tables?? Does SAP application do any reference check for old tablespaces

Best Regards,

Anup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anup,

Yes, you can drop these tablespaces, there will be no adverse impact on the system.

The details are present in the upgrade guide, Follow-up activities section.

Regards,

Kiran

uwe_theisinger
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Anup,

if there are Tables in the old TS do a crosscheck with Transaction SE11.

However, the TS should be empty if the upgrade runs properly.

regards

Uwe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Uwe / Kiran,

Thanks for the responses.. As Kiran pointed out, it is indeed mentioned in the upgrade guide. I suppose my question is answered. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Anup

Answers (0)