cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up multiple SAP instances on one server using Symantec Backup Exec

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

in our company we use Symantec Backup Exec to back up our Oracle databases. We would like to use this tool also to back up our SAP systems through RMAN and backint. However, we faced a following problem:on one machine we have more than one SAP system (each of them has its own separate database and BRTOOLS) and while we try to install SAP agent provided by Symantec to another location of BRTOOLS we have no such possibility (we only can repair previous installation or uninstall already installed SAP agent). We asked Symantec what to do in such a situation and Symantec sent us this link to the documentation: [http://support.veritas.com/docs/330169].

We tried to follow instructions in that document but there is no setenv.cmd file (which document points to) in brtools location of any our SAP installations. Symantec maintains that the file should be there and suggests that our installation is incomplete or "broken".

Has anyone of you faced similiar problem? can you tell me what is wrong and what we should do to be able back up multiple SAP instances on one server using Symantec Backup Exec?

We use:

SAP 7.10 on Windows Server 2003 (64 bit.)

BRTOOLS 7.00

DB: Oracle Server 10.2.0.4.0

Backup Tool: BACKUP EXEC 12.5

Any help highly appreciate

Regards

Piotr

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We tried to follow instructions in that document but there is no setenv.cmd file (which document points to) in brtools location of any our SAP installations.

According to how I understand that document: You have to create that file and point to the correct .ini file (set the proper environment for each of the to-be-backed-up databases).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus, thanks for your reply,

You have to create that file and point to the correct .ini file (set the proper environment for each of the to-be-backed-up databases).

Symantec maintain that setenv.cmd is provided along with brtools - this is information we got from them: "The setenv.cmd file comes with BRTolls .Try finding it where brtools are installed.Or perform a windows search for this file" - that in my opinion suggests that setenv.cmd after installation should already be present in a BRTOOLS directory...

Please give me any clue how properly set up backup of multiple SAP instances on one server using Symantec Backup Exec.

Regards

Piotr

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I'm asking you for help again. Hasn't anybody really had smilar problems with Symantec Backup Exec and SAP so far?

Please give me any suggestion because I don't realy know what to do now.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards

Piotr

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm asking you for help again. Hasn't anybody really had smilar problems with Symantec Backup Exec and SAP so far?

> Please give me any suggestion because I don't realy know what to do now.

I don't consider that as a problem but as a configuration issue.

To find out which database is to be backed up your have to create a file that sets the proper environment for the database that is to be backed up, something like

set ORACLE_HOME=<path-to-oracle-home>

set SAPDATA_HOME=<path-to-sapdata>

set SAPEXE=<path-to-sapexe>

You then have to configure backup exec to execute that file before the backup is starting. For each instance to be backed up one file has to be created so the proper br*tools are used.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus for your reply

Could you please tell me whether in your SAP installation in br*tools directory there is a setenv.cmd file? (of course I assume that you have SAP on Oracle). If so please copy its text and paste it here.

Thanks again

Piotr