cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a BPM scenario or a simple Integration scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a project coming up with the following requirement :

1. Pick-up a file from external business partner using FTP/VPN using FTP adpater.

2. Transfer the file to SAP Unix directory.

3. Call and RFC function which will pick-up this file and post it into SAP.

4. No message mapping is required. The file name is the input parameter for the RFC .

This looks like multi step process for me. First step to transfer the file to SAP Unix directory. Once this step is successful, we need an RFC step to process the data. But there is no correlation of messages.

Your expert comments would be appreciated.

cheers

Ramesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not recommend a BPM for this case simple use FTP API's to move the file to SAP unix directory using client abap proxy and call an RFC inside code after checking the directory..you can access the unix directories from ABAP.

I strictly prohibit BPM'S until & unless really required!

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ramesh,

Generally when you have different DMZ zones in a company and SAP servers are in different zones then the server where the External companies keep there file.

One option would be to:

1.Run a shell sript to move a file from External server to Unix Box.

2. Create a File to RFC scenario in SAP XI to move the file from Unix to SAP system

Second option

1. Scenario File to file for moving the file

2. File to RFC for moving to SAP R/3

Regards

Vijaya

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijaya,

Are you sure about the 'File Modification Check'. Note 821267 - FAQ for File adapter - Questions no.22 mentions that this option is not supported for the transport protocol "File Transfer Protocol (FTP)", but only for the transport protocol "File System (NFS)".

I shall test the QOS EOIO and come back.

cheres

Ramehs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Ramesh,

As always in this you would find methods to use or not to use BPM, to be frank BPM is a bit time consuming and u might avoid with some tune ups.

So depending on ur requirements w.r.t. ease of use and timing constraints you could apply any of those.

Hope this helps.

Vara

[PLEASE REWARD FOR POSTING]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sravya,

Thanks for your responses. I am not sure whether we should rule out BPM in every case. I do understand it is memory and process intensive. Would you mind explaining why you have strong objection to BPM. It would help me to re-think my approach to this solution.

Are you taking about the tradional FTP_CONNECT and FTP_COMMAND API's ? This was the approach we have taken pre-XI. I can stright away write this code in back-end R/3 system instead of XI.We are trying to avoid writing any code and do it using XI Config.

Vijaya,

I am not too worried about DMZ environment. We are establishing a VPN tunnel with the external party. So I can use FTP/FTP adapter and pull the files directly instread of using Shell script.

I also have another issue. The source directory would have 3 files and I need to process them one after another due to potential locking problems of cusotmer account numbers while posting in R/3. Your second option may complicate this implementation.

Moorthy,

With BPM, can I pick-up the files one after another from the source directory?

cheers

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

In the File adapter you can make your QOS EOIO with Processing sequence 'ByNAme' or 'byDate'

To prevent reading half written files use:

<b>Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check</b>

Enter the number of milliseconds that the adapter must wait before it checks whether the files have been changed.

This parameter is not available if you have selected File Content Conversion as the Message Protocol and then made an entry under Recordsets per Message that splits an input file into several messages.

Regards

Vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep as moorthy said u might need BPM , if in case u r new to it please check the blog of dealing with a similar issue :

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/27/rfc-scenario-using-bpm--starter-kit

Let us know as u find any problems

Vara

[PLEASE REWARD FOR POSTING]

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can you know, the file is written successfully ? You can make sure that file is sent successfully i.e Recieved by the Reciever with the help of System Acknowledgement. Once you get Postive Acknowledgement you need to call the RFC .

This you can do using BPM.

1)Receive the file message

2) Send the File with Acknowledgement

3) Switch step for the Checking Positive acknowledgement

4) Map the File name into RFC structre ( Transformation step)

5) Send this mapped RFC

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Moorthy