cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Available Tags List looks different

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am on MII 12.1.4 Build(53). I am connecting to a remote OPC Server (1) via a UDS installed on a local OPC Server (2). The list of the available tags is not complete. Moreover, the names of the available tags look different, like the following -

"<array_tag> / <string length> String

<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] BCD

<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Byte

<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Char

<array_tag> {<rows>}{<cols>} Word...

<atomic_tag> BCD

<atomic_tag> Boolean

<atomic_tag> Byte

<atomic_tag> Char...

Program:<prog_name>.<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Byte

Program:<prog_name>.<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Char

Program:<prog_name>.<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Date

Program:<prog_name>.<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] Double

Program:<prog_name>.<array_tag> [<d1>, <d2>] DWord..."

Also, when I try to execute the 'Tag Query', it comes back with a 'java.io.EOFException' error message. Below are the log details. Can somebody explain whats going on here?

Regards,

Chanti.

"com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: java.io.EOFException

[EXCEPTION]

com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: java.io.EOFException

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.services.handlers.IlluminatorService.processRequest(IlluminatorService.java:84)

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.services.ServiceManager.run(ServiceManager.java:68)

at com.sap.xmii.servlet.Illuminator.service(Illuminator.java:68)

... 41 more

Caused by: com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.logging.LHException: java.io.EOFException

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.connectors.UDC.UDCQuery.doQuery(UDCQuery.java:131)

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.connectors.UDC.UDC.doProcessRequest(UDC.java:87)

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.connectors.AbstractConnector.processRequest(AbstractConnector.java:90)

... 43 more

Caused by: java.io.EOFException

at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.tools.lisa.DataReader.read(DataReader.java:20)

at com.sap.xmii.Illuminator.connectors.UDC.UDCQuery.doQuery(UDCQuery.java:128)

... 45 more"

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which OPC Server? This list looks like a "hints" list that describes the different ways to define an OPC tag.

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steve,

Heres the scenario -

i) UDS 4.0 installed on a local OPC Server (1) (running on Windows 2003)

ii) Connecting to OPC Server (2) (running on Windows XP) located in South America.

I am getting a 'java.io.EOFException' error when reading/writing to a tag on OPC Server (2).

Regards,

Chanti.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chanti,

Can you connect to the remote OPC Server from the local W2k3 Server using an OPC Client such as the Kepware OPCQuickClient? After connection is made can you read tag values?

Which OPC Server are you trying to connect to remotely?

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am able to read/write to the tags on OPC Server (2) from the quick client on OPC Server (1).

Now, I want to be able to read / write to the tags on OPC Server (2) from MII through the UDS installed on OPC Server (1).

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is UDS running under the same user account (configured for DCOM access) that you used to run the quick client? If a separate account, are both accounts in the same domain group that is configured for DCOM access?

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

I take back my earlier statement that the available tags are not displayed correctly. I think all tags are being read and displayed properly.

Its the 'java.io.EOFException' error that occurs when doing the read / write to function via Tag Query.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The UDS is running under system account on OPC Server (1). The user account that runs the quick client on OPC Server (2) is different. Both machines are on the same domain.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LocalSystem account normally does not have DCOM access. You must run UDS service with a named user account that has DCOM privileges to connect and exchange messages with the remote OPC Server.

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have noticed 2 different processes 'xMIIUDSBasicAdminConsole.exe' and 'xMIIUDSHost.exe'.

The former runs under my username and the latter as a system service. Can you tell me which one you are refering to?

Regards,

Chanti.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not using UDS (won't install on W2K3 Server X64) so I am not sure what the service name is. Is there a way in the UDS admin console to change the account under which the service runs?

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wondering how it can display the available tags using the 'Service' account? Doesn't DCOM matter here? DCOM is only for 'Read' and 'Write' access of tags?

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I recall something about that, seems like it is possible to browse the tag list but not actually read/write them if DCOM not configured, has to to with OPCEnum service in Windows.

Bottm line: If you want to read/write remote OPC Server tag data from MII, you will need to do one of the following:

1. Install UDS or PCo 2.1 on remote server and configure on both ends for MII connectivity

2. Configure DCOM on all servers and clients that use OPC

3. Use an OPC Tunneling application to avoid DCOM issues

4. Use OPC UA OPC server and client with PCo as they become available for general release.

Hope this help!

- Steve

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have it all set up the way it should be. UDS Host and OPC Server accounts are in sync.

Its showing the list of available tags but giving me the error 'Could not add <tag name> to the response list'.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try adding the tags manually as show and also the full qualified name. Sometimes MII is able to browse but only selects the last

suffix of the tag when adding it to the selection. So add the tags manually in the line below the selection tag with its full qualified

name like "group1.group2.tagname".

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did it the same way. It still didn't work.