Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cms log Error

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

We are using MII 11.5 with SP6 (11.5.6 b73), JRE on server is 1.4.2_13.

The cms.log file is being continuously flooded by below error

[ServletExec: request: time=1267426492416, uri=/Lighthammer/Illuminator] ERROR  HomePageBuilder - Error transfering attributes org.w3c.dom.DOMException: INVALID_CHARACTER_ERR: An invalid or illegal XML character is specified.

Any ideas what is it thats causing these errors and please suggest any possible resolution to it.

Regards,

Adarsh

Edited by: Adarsh Sidnoor on Mar 8, 2010 5:00 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adarsh,

The xml file in your application might be culprit for this kind of error. The xml file names cannot begin with number,dots,hyphens.Names can also contain a colon, but the use of colons outside of namespaces should be avoided.

Please check the name of the particular xml file.

Hope this helps you.

-Suresh

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Suresh,

I just verified the xml files we use and they look good and are not creating any errors while reading them.

We also have another MII server (server 2) having same settings and same programs running (you call it as replica of server 1)

and we are not finding any errors in that server.

And this error is generated randomly at any time and there are no other dependent errors along with this.

Regards,

Adarsh

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Randomly? Perhaps based upon the homepage error message it can be attributed to a specific user, who only logs into the server in question, or perhaps has a different profile on the problem server.

Look in the equivalent folder: C:\Lighthammer\Illuminator\Temp\HomePages and you'll see folders for each user and the 'home page' built for that user (along with the datetime stamp on the file that may align with the error message timestamp).

Then I would persue the suspect user and look at their profile to see what navigation / tab items they have assigned to them, as well as the corresponding Theme xsl file for the look and feel of their home page.

Another option would be to turn on INFO or DEBUG logging level and see if you can capture the user account (IllumLoginName) from the same timeframe that the error happens. Obviously this will create a bunch of messages and would not be the best to use for any extended period of time, especially on a PROD server.

You should be able to track down the problematic user either with the file system approach or the logs, then after that the process is the same: identify the bad xml character and eliminate it.

sidnooradarsh
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeremy,

Let me check the use profile which might be causing this issue.

I will get back with my findings.

Regards,

Adarsh