Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using another CEN for Solution Manager

andreas_kleint
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we have the situation, that our CEN was existing long before we raised our own solution manager.

My question is quite simple: Is it possible to use that remote CEN for the system monitoring functions in solution manager or not - without migrating it to the solman. I would be very nice if anyone can make a proposal because I cannot imagine, that I am the only one in the world with this demand.

thank a lot

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Yes, it should be possible to Setup System Monitoring with a CEN which is not the SAP Solution Manager system. Perhaps you can have a look in the SAP Solution Manager itself. You can execute transaction SOLUTION_MANAGER and there you can select a solution where you want to setup the System Monitoring. In the 'Operations Setup' you can execute the 'Setup System Monitoring' and within the tool you have a check 'Check CCMS Connectivity'. There is an explanation text and you can set a CEN system which is not the SAP Solution Manager system.

Best regards,

Veit.

andreas_kleint
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Veit, thanks for your answer.

I checked this feature but there was no change or edit possibility in the field for the CEN.

The other conclusion would be, that if I monitor this system, than I also can monitor the systems, which are (ccms-)connected to this system, because I can see all of the remote contexts, like in a cascaded monitoring in an abap-instance for a belonging java-instance.

The problem is: If you realized the rfc-connection and click the way trough, only the local contexts of the remote system are visible The topology view of RZ21 is not the same like if you call rz21 in the system itself. The tab "monitored, remote sap systems" is not visible.

Maybe that I do not really understand how this feature should work. I you tried that successfully, maybe you can give me an foolproof cookbook for implementing it.

best regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

as far as I know, it is not possible to have "a CEN and a SOL in parallel" and connecting them e.g. via RFC to get the alert data from CEN to SOL. You can only use this constellation in special cases like SL-Reporting (where you can specifiy an RFC to CEN in customizing). But I do not know any way in area System Monitoring.

We had the same situation as you have and decided to migrate the CEN into the SOL. For a couple of weeks, we let the two systems run in parallel (this was done by registering all the CCMS-Agents at both systems) and then simply overtaking all the agents from CEN to SOL. The only manual task you need to do is re-assigning the central autoreaction methods.

If you want to know more about this, feel free to come back....

Regards,

Dirk

andreas_kleint
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

thanks a lot for your answer. I have the dim feeling that you're right. Please take a look at my answer to Veit for my last hope. The migration procedure itself is very clear to me (in theory) and I would decide pretty much the way as yours.

Additionally the system for the CEN is also the central dbacockpit for about 40 Oracle-DB's, the NWA for J2EE's and the productive SLD. You can imagine, that I'm not very happy about the variable recommendations about implementations of SAP central components. It could become a massive migration effort.

Some outdated documents like Note 744590 and early Implementationguides suggests, that it is possible and reasonable to separate the functionality of CEN and Solman. But now it seems , the product does no longer allow that, I think.

thanks again

regards

Andreas