cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Status during backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just want to know what is the real status of SAP system during offlilne backup. Is the system down during offline (db13) backup?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Logically speaking during offline backup the system status is almost like down only. Users will not be able to login to SAP. This does not mean that SAP is down. During offline backup (automated through some tools or DB13) only database will be shutdown and not SAP.

All the work process tries to get the connection from database till the backup is completed. Once the backup is completed then work process will get connected with database and then users can login.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are also options where take offline manually and in such situations sap and database are stopped and take the backup. Once the backup is done again they start it manually.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharath,

Thank you very much. This answers my query. You see, I've been wondering why if I have pending processes before subjecting my SAP system to an offline backup via db13, those processes are not cancelled after the backup. Now I know that SAP has provided a RECONNECT mechanism that will remake all connections after the startup thus, avoids cancelling those processes.

Thank you very much.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Tadlas, Thats correct While taking offline back-up of DB you would need to shutdown your application and DB.

Ps : DB - Oracle

Application - SAP

Hope it addresses your query.

Regards, Amber S | ITL

Edited by: Amber S on Mar 8, 2010 9:06 AM