cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how we do calculate howmany instances for application server?

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi all

learnt that many instances creted are used for running batch jobs for one application server.

How and who estimate how many instances are required for certain business before you go alive or how?

in production we do have many instaces but development one instances..

br

Muthu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That depends on how much SAPs of different functional modules your system needs, largely which refers to active user activities. If you plan on implementing 3 tier architecture, there's an algorithm from hardware vendors to separate database activities on 1st tier and workload of user logon and application program calculation on 2nd tier, which can profile your system size approximately based on different OS/DB chosen. I'm not sure there could be an accurate number of how many application servers needed in a large landscape, usually it's a continuous optimization after go-live, summarized from performance review collected.

Regards,

Effan

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks very much Effan . it is very informative.

i will freeze this thread. can you explain elaborately on no of user part. We are in SRM -Supplier relationship management.

for eg. how i can improve my instances . how can i come to know thses insta ces are enough to run the jobs ..

muthu

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could check ST03 to tell the workload proportion of this instance: ST03 --> Expert mode --> Workload --> Total --> Month --> This month (or whichever month represents the ideal peak time), there's a workload overview on right hand where you could find how many dialog steps which mostly (not all) can be distributed to application server load balancing, and how many updateupdate2 steps which are database activities of 1st tier we mentioned earlier. This gives you a general idea how busy your instance is from statistics perspective. Usually when you see 200 active users in AL08 if there's no application servers, you should start considering adding at least one.

For OS platform as application server, mostly it's windows or linux because of TCO. Windows goes with a lower TCO and some unofficial statistics show Java applications have better performance on linux, just for your information.

Regards,

Effan

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Effan for your sincere reply .

Got it.

Muthu

Answers (0)