cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database backup on local disk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have installed new system having ERP 6.0 with EHP1 on AIX 6.1 and Oracle 10.2.0.4. I want to upgrade this system to EHP4, but before starting upgrade I need to take backup and presently my client doesn't have tape drive / library option for backup. So I have to take backup on local disk (/backupSAP directory) which is almost having 100GB allocated space)

I am new to Unix, I am not aware about the backup option on disk. I already did the same option in Windows by using BRBACKUP and changing some settings in initSAP.<SID> file.

Can anybody please guide me the detailed procedure to fulfill my requirements, as I need to start this upgrade as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, The note 948294 is really useful one.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I become successful in taking offline backup, but I got following problems

1. Unable to take offline backup when SAP is running.

- Brtools is unable to stopdb

2. Unable to take online backup

- log is showing

"cp /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sr3_1/sr3.data1 /sapbackup/bectbizf/sr3.data1 failed"

I changed ownership of my /sapbackup directory from root to oraSID:dba, I provided full permission to this folder also.

I tried to execute above command manually then system saying invalid parameter line..even I can't copy this data file to tmp directory also. I tried to copy by root, sidadm and orasid but no success.

Finally I stopped SAP, then I executed offline backup...then brtool started the backup activity.

But this process doesn't make sence while considering first problem.

I am unable to track...why brtools is unable to stopdb for offline backup and why I am unable to take online backup.

In my solman (which is based on windows), I am able to take online / offline backup by using brtools without error, but in Development (on AIX) its nt happenin

Any more guidline will be very helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Ramesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi All,

>

> I become successful in taking offline backup, but I got following problems

> 1. Unable to take offline backup when SAP is running.

> - Brtools is unable to stopdb

> 2. Unable to take online backup

> - log is showing

> "cp /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sr3_1/sr3.data1 /sapbackup/bectbizf/sr3.data1 failed"

>

>

1) By default brbackup will not stop your database if the SAP system is running. If you do want this, specify the backup mode as "offline_force" instead of "offline" - but of course you want to be careful with that

2) Is your database in ARCHIVELOG mode? An online backup is only possible if archive logging is enabled.

Just a few more tips:

- If you have enough CPU resources, you can save space by using software compression: add "-k yes" to your backup command

- Still on condition to have plenty of CPU, you can use parallel backup processes by adding "-e <n>" with <n> = " of parallel procs to use

- When you switch to online backups, I advise you to use backup mode "online_cons" instead of plain "online". The "online_cons" includes the minimum set of archive logs needed for a consistent recovery from your backup.

Good luck,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Sorry for late reply.

I am able to take offline_force backup. But the second option which you suggested is also not working.

I am simply not able to copy any data file by cp command. Its giving file is in use, may be because of this reason BRBACKUP is also unable to run the command 'cp /oracle/SID/sapdata2/sr3_1/sr3.data1 /sapbackup/bectbizf/sr3.data1'

Anymore changes I have to in initSID.sap file.

Please advise with your expert suggestions. I need to start taking this online backup on disk by today.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramesh.

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

check note 948294 for AIX JFS mount-options.

I suspect you do not have cio-mounted sapdata filesystems.

Volker

kishore_soma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi Ramesh,

Enable compression so that all the files backed will be compressed for better usage of disk, Change compression to yes, backup_copy_cmd to dd, then try taking the backup.

Can you paste the brbackup logs so that we can get in to the actual problem you have.

Regards,

Kishore Soma

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can perform disk based backup using BR*TOOLS with compression or without compression.

Following parameters will be required to set in init<SID>.sap file to perform the same.

backup_dev_type = disk

backup_root_dir = <local Disk director path>

UseDB13 action/job, "whole DB online + Redo log file" backup. or the same thing u can perform at OS level using BR*TOOLS program or by executing this command " brbackup -u system/manager -t online -d disk -m all -p init<dbsid>.sap -a -c force ".

Refer this [useful link |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/65/96f1e4a6974512962197918624e1c5/frameset.htm]to get information regarding the available options with BRBACKUP.

Regards,

Bhavik G.Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Check this,I'd replied to a similar query.hope it helps.

thanks,

Prasanna