cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is transportation from lower version to higher version is possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

WE have BI 7.0 as our development system. we are setting up test servers now. now team wants the test server to be upgraded to BW 7.01. for which i would have to apply enhacement package1. now my question is:

Is transport possible from BW 7.0 to 7.01?will there be any issue with the objects developed in Netweaver 7.0 getting transported in Netweaver 7.01.

Also can you suggest me any links or documents which tells the steps to apply Enhacement package.

Regards,

Priya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>Is transport possible from BW 7.0 to 7.01?

Yes, it is technically possible BUT it is not supported and may be very dangerous.

>will there be any issue with the objects developed in Netweaver 7.0 getting >transported in Netweaver 7.01.

That is the reason why it could be very dangerous. My advice is then : Don't transport between 7.0 and 7.01 !

Regards,

Olivier

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

paul_power
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

It may be technically possible but is not supported and is extremely dangerous.

The reason is that you are importing objects between two systems but the state of those objects may be slightly or hugely different depending on the difference in support pack level between the two systems. Even if they are only at slightly different levels, you would have to be absolutly sure that the objects you are transporting have not changed in the support package levels that are different. not only this but to be sure that no negative consequences could occur, you would also have to be sure that no objects that interact with those being transported, have been changed.

For these reasons it is just not worth the gamble since if an issue DID occur during or after transport, you would most likely have to restore from backup to ensure consistency. Its far better to only transport betwwen systems that are on equivalent support package levels.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey thank you all guys!! dunno if i can give u all 10 points but will try if system allows me to do so...

just one more clarification: Is vice-versa case possible? that is whether transportation from higer version to lower version is possible??

Regards,

Priya

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

>>Transportation from higer version to lower version is NOT possible.

BR

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

As per my knowledge the answer in this case should be Technically speaking no, but dont know what will be the consequences. It might get transported correctly in some cases and might get with errors in some cases.

Like might be in 7.01 some new things might have been added/deleted which will not be avaiable in 7.00 and when u try to transport it will end in errors.

But definetly SAP will not support this.

Thanks & Regards,

Sharath

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

Its better for having same stack/patch level for BI DEV and BI QA System to reducing problems in BI System.

BR

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the link to get you started:

[SAP Enhancement Package Installation using SAPehpi |https://websmp203.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001461482008E/EHPI_Guides_NW701.htm#q1]

This document would be a good start, please go through it and the notes mentioned in it.

Thanks,

Naveed

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As adviced by Olivier this is certainly possible but may finish in errors with unknown consequences and Is not recommended... simply because the structure of the objects that you may import via a transport may have change during the upgrade

Regards

Juan