cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDS error connecting to a remote OPC server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have UDS 4.0 installed on a OPC Server (1). The connection works fine.

Now, I am trying to connect to a remote OPC Server (2) (in a different geography) running KEPware V4. I've configured this server as an xMII OPC-DA UDS. When I try to connect to the server, I get a message that says 'Error 0x80070005 Access is denied'.

Can somebody explain whats going on?

Regards,

Chanti.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Honestly I wouldn't even bother with DCOM permissions. Why not simply install the UDS onto the remote OPC server machine as well? It's what the UDS is made for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. Installing UDS on that OPC server is the next step but its gonna take a little bit time. In the meantime, we just wanted to connect with the UDS installed here on local OPC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kepware just released version 5.2 of KEPServerEX. It delivers both an OPC UA Server as well as an OPC UA CLient (Optional). The two combined will enable tunneling and removes the need for DCOM. In addition, you have excellent encryption and authentication as part of the OPC UA features and benefits. The OPC UA Server would run on the remote machine along with any needed device protocols. The OPC UA Client would run on the machine with UDS, would aggregate data from any remote servers, and KEPServerEX would convert the OPC UA Client information back to OPC DA for connectivity to UDS. You can go to the Kepware Website for demo downloads of our latest products.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the operating system of the OPC server? I think it is better practice to have the UDS installed on the same server.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chanti,

Have you set up DCOM between the UDS box and the remote KepServerEx box? That is the reason you get the Access Denied error. There is a document, XP_ServicePack2_DCOM.doc that may have been installed in the KepServerEx directory that details the DCOM settings for getting a remote OPC Server connected. Note that you may need some domain admin help if you need to set up domain groups to simplify the configuration settings. DCOM across domains is also a challenge.

The new OPC_Xi .Net interface and OPC_UA interfaces are designed to get around the limitations of DCOM. Pco 2.1 can connect to an OPC_UA server (I think Kepware has one available for download), don't think UDS 4.0 supports OPC_UA.

- Steve