cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procedure to follow for Physical to Virtual Vmware

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the migration of an Existing ECC 6.0 ( windows/oracle ) to Vmware ( ESX server ) . Please let me know what steps are needed to be followed.

Does we require to use Vmware convertor tool ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

newmy
Explorer
0 Kudos

The quick solution is to Clone your System so it runs in virtual. I try to describe the procedure but read the remarks.

I suggest that giving the VMware vCenter Converter BootCD the first shot for doing that task.

You find it in the Ddownloadsection of your vmware-account in

Home > Downloads > VMware vSphere 4 v4 > VMware vCenter Server 4 Update 1

burn a CD and put it in your Server you want to migrate.

Be shure you can logon even without any networkconnection and without a cached profile. activate the administratoraccount or create a local account which is administrator.

There are several screens where you fillin the required information.

After the migration is complete you find your System on the ESX host or in the VCenter (depends what you choosed).

Dont't connect the virtual Networkcard to any switch.

Then you can poweron your server and you can logon as usual.

Remove all hardwaredependand installations (HP Insight oder any hardwaredrivers which are not available anymore)

configure the needed IP-Adress and restart again.

If your server runs well connect the network and try to start database and so on.

Some remarks:

read all the papers at the beginning of the forum especially the support for oracle.

the cloned server has the same SID as the old one. Make shure not having both systems running at the same time.

If the cloned system doesn't work well - delete the virtual and try again.

do some training with small nonproductive system before cloning a production system.

the procedure is ONE possible solution there are many others doing the same job. with the procedure you clone also all the errors and the resulting system is not a "well and clean" virtual server - so you may get in more problems.

If you would do a "true" migration of the system do it as you would do it to migrate from any hardwarevendor to another the target you use here is vendor vmware.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for explaining the procedure of the creating the cloning using vmware convertor .

Which approach is better to use convertor or using System concept copy. ? Also which would be faster one .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your machine is running on the Physical machine ideal solution is to go for P2V option.Ensure you shutdown all the services of SAP system and also ensure you have enough space in the Basic LUN which you have allocated.

Regards

D.Mukundan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For the migration of an Existing ECC 6.0 ( windows/oracle ) to Vmware ( ESX server ) . Please let me know what steps are needed to be followed.

To avoid conflicts with drivers I'd do a homogeneous system copy. Then you have a clean installation.

Markus