cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed Width Character Padding

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I am trying to build a syndication map that pads the field with a leading character to fill up the max fill rate for that field. I found "Padding" and "Pad Character" in the destination items properties, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Is there anything special that needs to be done in order to get this to work?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am on MDM 7.1 SP3. I Observed that:

Setting "Maximum Item length" Property as "40" as suggested by Shiv is not working at my end

as both properties Padding and Pad Character are disabled.

So, it seems like a bug with this MDM version.

But, Usually both these Properties enabled only when Item Format = Fixed Width under Map Properties Tab.

But in this case, under Destination Items tab, Maximum Item length is disabled and Fixed width column enabled, but setting Pad Character as anything say $ is not working as expected.

So may be if you are on the same version, it doesn't seem to work for you too.

Thanks and Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also on MDM 7.1 SP3. I am performing the same exact procedure that Shiv mentioned, but it's not working for me. I am in fact using a fixed width format, so theoretically it should work fine. Other properties are working (ie: change case, etc), but for some reason I can't pad either a leading or trailing character for some reason.

I am pretty sure it's a bug. I'll open a customer message and update this post when I hear back.

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

"Max Item Length" property will be disabled if you specify map as Fixed Width in map properties. padding works if you define either of Maximum Item length or Fixed column Width Property.

before you create OSS message please can you check again by following these steps:

1. Go to Destination Items Tab in Syndicator and click on XXXX field and set "Maximum Item length" Property as 40.

2. Again In Destination Items tab uncheck box against "padding" property and specify "Padding" Property as "Leading"

3. Uncheck Box against "pad character" and specify "Pad Character" as "0" (without quotes). Pad character only takes one character. after unchecking box for pad character press delete to make sure that space is not there otherwise you won;t be able to specify pad character.

3. Perform Item Mapping and check destination preview. It will show you field XXXX as 40 characters padded with leading zeroes.

Try it and let me know the result.

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just upgraded to MDM 7.1.04.121 (SP04 Patch 2) because I found a note that mentions this functionality was broken in MDM 7.1 SP03. There is some interesting behaviour happening. Using "variable width" format, I can get the character padding to work by setting the "Max Item Length". Unfortunately, it still doesn't work using a "fixed width" format and the destination item property "Fixed Width Length". Therefore, my problem still exists. I'm wondering why this was solved for variable width but not fixed width, because this sort of functionality doesn't have much purpose for a variable width file, but it has a lot of use in a fixed width scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi. We have the same problem with padding (7.1 SP04)

@: ethanwest: Did you post a oss message?

If not: We will do this...

Former Member
0 Kudos

No I did not open an OSS message for this issue.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Posted Twice....

Edited by: Shiv Prashant Dixit on Mar 3, 2010 9:36 AM

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ethan,

Suppose you want to Make Field XXXX as 40 Character and if length is less then 40 in MDM then pad with Leading 0. To achieve this Please try by following steps:

1. Go to Destination Items Tab in Syndicator and click on XXXX field and set "Maximum Item length" Property as 40.

2. Again In Destination Items tab specify "Padding" Property as "Leading" and "Pad Character" as "0" (without quotes).

3. Perform Item Mapping and check destination preview. It will show you field XXXX as 40 characters padded with leading zeroes.

I checked it with MDM 5.5 SP06 and it is working at my end. Try it and revert with the result.

Regards,

Shiv