cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain difference between actions: 'simulate purchase order' & 'create PO'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could somebody explain the difference between the following two possible actions:

A Quote can be converted into a Purchase Order via two different buttons: 'create purchase order' and 'simulate purchase order'. In my SRM 7.0 system both result in an Purchase Order being created. What is the use and difference of the 'simulate purchase order' button in comparison to the 'create purchase order' functionality?

Kind regards,

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

imthiaz_ahmed
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simulate PO should not result in creation of PO as the name itself explains, I think there is some issue there

Regards,

Imthiaz

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mateus_moura
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tim,

Below is the difference between them:

Create PO  -> This button will not allow to select the transaction type
in case of preceeding document is Shopping Cart. If you want pop-up
should appear then you need to use the 'simulate and create purchase
order' button.

Both 'create purchase order' and 'simulate and create PO' works in a
same way. The only difference is that 'create PO' will not show the pop-up,
wherein 'simulate and create PO' will show the pop-up where purchaser
can select the transaction type and create the PO.

Best regards,

Mateus

Former Member
0 Kudos

The actual button names are:

1. Create Purchase order

2. Simulate and create purchase order

Conclusion: both should create a purchase order. But my question remains: What's the difference between these two?

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I believe in MIRO we do have simulate.

it could be like TEST check box.

some one correct us.

is it really PO generates ? or POP up the PO when you click simulate PO. then buyer decide that this PO could decide successful PO can be created with this enough data ..

Thanks for asking questions. so every one understand the concept well.

br

Muthu

Former Member
0 Kudos

It does not pop-up the PO for preview. It does show a pop-up screen where you can choose your desired PO transaction type . This pop-up and way of working is the same as when you would execute the 'Create Purchase Order' action.

Maybe the button is inherited orso from R/3 screens as Muthu stated with his MIRO example but isn't of any actual purpose? In addition i've searched thoroughly through help.sap.com/srm but it does not say anything about a 'simulate create purchase order' action.

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Donald/ kiran / scot/ Masa

any thoughts. Hope all you had a good flavor on SRM 700 .

simulate PO ..

br

Muthu

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_srm70/helpdata/en/c7/3e69b0e6dc492eb3e6e2b11edc2f99/frameset.htm

Processing Follow-On Documents

When creating an RFx or a live auction, you can decide if a purchase order and/or purchasing contract can be created as a follow-on document. After the submission deadline for the RFx or auction, you decide whether to reject or accept a bid. After the accepted bid has run through an approval workflow, you can use this business process to create the follow-on documents. In Customizing, you can determine whether the follow-on documents are generated locally or in a back-end system.

Create purchase order in SAP SRM (SRM Server)

Create purchase order in SAP ERP (SAP ERP)

Create contract in SAP SRM (SRM Server)

Create contract in SAP ERP (SAP ERP)

yes tim. no proper docuemntation on this.

definetly purchase ask what is this functionality that time we must answer his question on preparing user manuals for them

good question. let discussion become hot.

some one will throw light.

muthu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Muthu,

Thanks for your help and responses.

I'm hoping they will, though i think if this is solely occuring in SRM 7.0 i'm betting this is a mistake by SAP. But it could be ment to be something fancy aswell, that we're missing out on totaly at this point in time (preview PO before actually creating would indeed be a nice feature).

Kind regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm hoping they will, though i think if this is solely occuring in SRM 7.0 i'm betting this is a mistake by SAP. But it could be ment to be something fancy aswell, that we're missing out on totaly at this point in time (preview PO before actually creating would indeed be a nice feature).

In fact, this button "simulate and create PO" might just be what you consider a "nice feature" or "fancy" or close to it - if this button works properly, it should launch a pop up window that contains the list of POs that should be created (in some cases, items in the quotation might need to be split into different POs) and two buttons "Create Purchase Order" and "Cancel" with their self explanatory intents. If you don't see the pop up window, you might have a pop up blocker on. If nothing works for you to launch the popup, continue pursuing the OSS mesage with SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jay,

I'll do that: create an OSS message: 'no difference between 'create po' and 'simulate and create po' actionbuttons'. The pop-up blokker advise: I'm no noob, thats not the issue

Have you ever seen this 'simulate and create PO' actionbutton within an SRM 5 environment (with/without portal)?

Kind regards,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you ever seen this 'simulate and create PO' actionbutton within an SRM 5 environment (with/without portal)?

I believe this feature(simulate & create) is newly introduced in SRM 7.0.

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no Jay . it could be new in SRM 700 . it is anot available in SRM 550

former_member183819
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello Jay,

>

> I'll do that: create an OSS message: 'no difference between 'create po' and 'simulate and create po' actionbuttons'. The pop-up blokker advise: I'm no noob, thats not the issue

>

> Have you ever seen this 'simulate and create PO' actionbutton within an SRM 5 environment (with/without portal)?

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Tim

>

> Hello Jay,

>

> I'll do that: create an OSS message: 'no difference between 'create po' and 'simulate and create po' actionbuttons'. The pop-up blokker advise: I'm no noob, thats not the issue

>

> Have you ever seen this 'simulate and create PO' actionbutton within an SRM 5 environment (with/without portal)?

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Tim

eventually learnt that . This SIMULATION feature used --before replicating the PO from SAP to ERP . In customizing, an option exists to either issue an error or a warning if the consistency check is unsuccesful.

In case of error message , all simulation issues must be resolved prior to the PO being transmitted to the backend SAP ERP system. This also means that the PO will be not sent to the vendor.

Alternatively, in case of a warning message, the PO is transmitted to the backend system regardless of any issues that might exist.This PO is sent to the supplier as well.

Muthu