Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapgui_progress_indicator & timeout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would use the f.m. sapgui_progress_indicator in long-running reports to show progress and - as I remember - it would also prevent timeouts (runtime error). But with sap basis 7.0 I get timeouts again even when showing progress.

Is it a "new feature" or it depends on some other (system) params?

I know that commit work can also prevent timeout but I don't want to commit just for that. Any other idea?

br,

a

15 REPLIES 15

PedroGuarita
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think that runtime timeouts are defined through SAP Administration, not by ABAP coding.

0 Kudos

Hi Pedro,

it's not about the definition of the timeout (that is set to 600s in SAP Administration) but reseting the timer by ABAP coding.

br,

a

former_member156446
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

well rather than searching for options to stop run time/ timeout error.. I would like to try to optimize my code, to not to hit time out error..

0 Kudos

hello J@Y,

of course optimizing the code would be a question in perfromance tuning section of this forum.

Think of it (my question) theoretically. Suppose you have already optimized your code but you still want to display the list even if it takes more than 10 minutes. E.g. it's an alv grid and you need the interactive functions (not available in the spool after a batch run).

br,

a

0 Kudos

It's still a bad idea - have the user reduce the selection set to reduce the time. Remember - a dialogue process is tied up while this is running.

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

normally it is run with reduced selection set and far below time limit. Timeout comes when no selections are made.

To be precise:

the question is not about performance but why f.m. sapgui_progress_indicator doesn't prevented timeout in this case.

br,

a

0 Kudos

>

> Hi Rob,

>

> normally it is run with reduced selection set and far below time limit. Timeout comes when no selections are made.

>

> To be precise:

> the question is not about performance but why f.m. sapgui_progress_indicator doesn't prevented timeout in this case.

>

> br,

> a

It's not a performance issue. It's a user eduaction issue. How would your management feel if you told them you are trying to get around limits set up by them and SAP??

Rob

0 Kudos

well, I see... Maybe I should have posted it in AS (basis) section of the forum?

okay, let's forget about performance and time limits, you always try to mislead.

I'd like to clarify it, the real question is: in older versions f.m. sapgui_progress_indicator

would reset the "timeout counter", in (my) sap basis 7.0 it doesn't.

Don't ask me why I want to do it , I wonder if there is a way to do it without commit work ?

Just curiosity!

br,

a

0 Kudos

Try FM TH_REDISPATCH, it should reset the timer.

0 Kudos

Hi,

my understanding is that a logical unit of work LUW is created and starts the timer. It is ended by COMMIT or ROLLBACK to ensure the database consistency.

I have no idea what the undocumented and unreleased function TH_REDISPATCH really does. The where-used list does not show any business applications. You'd better be careful.

If earlier SAPGUI_PROGRESS_INDICATOR did a timer reset (I did not watch this) it probably did an implicit COMMIT what you have for any screen processing anyway.

Regards,

Clemens

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not remember sapgui_progress_indicator prevented timeout. The only ways to extend the 600 seconds online run time limit are COMMIT WORK or change the system parameter.

A possible option is parallel processing. Please check [this blog|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Snippets/Easilyimplementparallelprocessinginonlineandbatchprocessing]. Might be useful.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Clemens,

oh yes it would prevent timeout in "old times", e.g.:

the question is how to do it now?

br,

a

MarcelloUrbani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I posted a solution, but only worked because it forced a commit through wait.But so does TH_REDISPATCH.

Never mind.

Marcello

Edited by: Marcello Urbani on Sep 5, 2011 6:17 PM

Edited by: Marcello Urbani on Sep 5, 2011 6:39 PM

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi bus,

sapgui_progress_indicator will trigger an implicit database commit anyway. This is not a commit work but only Commit Work will reset the runtime counter.

Regards,

Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Provide information message at appropriate places in your code .. will reset the 5 minute restriction ...

To all others : Don't want to get into discussion of why to reset timer , but I have faced the same situation where data to be selected was so huge and it was online report as input/output files were to be saved on presentation server ....At times it's better to look for alternatives rather than trying to convinve people for better solutions...