cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Portal componets strategy for MDM 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

The good news is that today CE completely support MDM 7.1.

But there is a a fly in the ointment.

There are two concurrent technologies:

- EP 7.0 + GP + MDM Portal Content

- CE 7.11 + BPM + WD MDM Components

What is SAP strategy?

Does it means that old MDM Portal Content for EP 7.0 will not be extended (only bugfixed)?

Does it means that SAP will recomend to use CE and BPM for new MDM project implementation?

What is the best solution to offer to customer?

What do you think?

Edited by: Sergey Aleksandrov on Mar 1, 2010 6:03 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think CE 7.11 + BPM + WD MDM Components is a good option because of:

1. Shipped with SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EhP1

2. Covers both, human-(collaboration) and system-centric processes (process integration)

3. Used to create composite business processes

4. Leverages the Enterprise Services Repository for SOA Design Governance which is also part of

SAP NetWeaver CE

5. It enables you to build cross-application processes

6. Includes SAP NetWeaver Business Rules Management (BRM) which enables you to create

rules that can be called from any application.

7. Human-centric composite processes focusing on human interactions and process collaboration.

These processes are delivered through a new building block of BPM capabilities that is

integrated into SAP NetWeaver CE

8. Supports standard-based modeling environment (BPMN: Business Process Modeling Notation)

9. Furthermore, with MDM 7.1 SP4 so called MDM Web Dynpro Components have been introduced. It can be seen as a sort of

wizard that guides you through the creation of Web Dynpro components for MDM. This makes integration between SAP MDM and SAP NetWeaver BPM much easier with minimal or even without any coding required.

10. NetWeaver BPM and SAP Business Workflow provide a more flexible modeling environment which allows you to implement complex business processes

11. Flexibility: In case of changes during runtime, NetWeaver BPM the integrated BRM allows you to change rules on the fly

Limitations:

Portal iViews are not supported. However, as mentioned above, the MDM Web Dynpro Components provide similar functionality.

Thanks and Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sergey,

as for the predefined SAP standard content (repositories, portal iViews, and so on), we'Re currently investigating the options of the new MDM Web Dynpro Configurator. As of now it is quite possible that we'll go for CE 7.11 (or 7.20) combined with WD Components and BPM. At least this should be the state of the art technology for future MDM deliverables and/or project implementations.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you!

I also want to use CE and BPM integration feature of MDM WD Components in new projects.

Michael

Thanks for information. But what will happen with MDM Portal components for EP 7.0?

For example Excel export option will be added to CE Result Set WD component. Will this feature be ported to old EP 7.0 component?

I want to realise the benefints to our customers to migrate from EP 7.0 to CE 7.11.

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sergey,

honestly I'm not sure if there are any downports of functionality planned. I don't think so as the strategy is clearly to invest in new technologies. Still it might be possible if there's a strong requirement from customers to SAP...

Best regards

Michael

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would vote for BPM + WD MDM Components. In My opinion NetWeaver BPM is next generation tool in the business process modeling area and has advantage over Guided procedures. I have not yet explored MDM Web Dynpro fully, but from what I have read, I think MDM webdynpro Configurator is definitely up above MDM Portal Content in terms of Customization and flexibility.

Regards,

Shiv