Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

has anybody install or use NWDI?

I'm looking for information on how to perform transport from a dev. environment to a prod. enviroment.

Thanks,

Roberto

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I've already read this article, but what I'm looking for is how nwdi is applicable to xMII.

Is it possible to transport Transaction to Dev. Env. to Prod. Env, or an irpt file to DEV to PROD?

If yes has anybody experienced this?

Thanks,

Roberto

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

In terms of using nwdi with mii, you have to build an mii project into an sda and deploy it into the production server. The article describes this process.

Jamie

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jamie,

For MII 12.1 Content Management SAP provides Transport Management through NWDI.

"Additional New Feature Sets for SAP MII 12.1"

https://websmp110.sap-ag.de/~sapdownload/011000358700000170142009E

Which means the NWDI would create an SCA file and import into a Test and Prod Run-Time systems by NWDI.

Is this the content created in NWDS only?

Can the content created in MII Workbench be transported from the NWDI Change Management Service?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrei,

No, it appears with SAP MII 12.1, the NWDI integration does not extend to CTS. I was looking for the same thing and came to the conclusion that SAP MII 12.1 is integrated with NWDI with DTR only but for actual transporting to the next system you will need to download the projects into NWDS, build the SCA file in NWDS then deploy it to the next system in your landscape just as it says in Jamie's PDF document.

I don't think in this version we are able to use NWDI to fully progress through activities and create new software builds and transport them up through our landscape purely in NWDI, hopefully that is still being worked on.

Regards,

Danny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Danny,

"..download the projects into NWDS, build the SCA file in NWDS.."

I think you mean an SDA file?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess I'd like to get an answer to these 2 questions:

1. Can MII Workbench content/project be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

2. Can custom Java development done for MII in NWDS using MIIBuildt.sca, XMII.sca, SAPBuildt.sca archives as build time dependencies be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

0 Kudos

Andrei,

Some quick thoughts:

1) Can MII Workbench content/project be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

The content is able to transport through the NWDI "Transport" from one track to another through a track connection. Release from Dev track and approve into the Consolidation or QA track and then release from this track and approve into the Prod track. This link and the surrounding Help content explains the procedure in detail:

[http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/ba/2e61fda9764a29833ddc41feb4e113/frameset.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi711/helpdata/en/ba/2e61fda9764a29833ddc41feb4e113/frameset.htm]

2) Can custom Java development done for MII in NWDS using MIIBuildt.sca, XMII.sca, SAPBuildt.sca archives as build time dependencies be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

If you're referring to custom actions, PDF Fonts, and JDBC drivers you are still required to deploy them manually through the web UI.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam,

These are very MII 12.1 specific questions. I am not looking for general NWDI knowledge.

Some quick thoughts:

1) Can MII Workbench content/project be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

I am not asking how to transport from one track to another. I am still operating within 1 track. After a MII Workbench developer activates all activities how do I move the MII Workbench content to test and ,subsequently, production.

So far, the only answer I get st hat I have to build an SDA file in NWDS and deploy it directly ,as a SDA file, into test run-time an then production run-time.

So, if I am not mistaken, on the test and production stages I am asked by SAP to use a development tool(NWDS) and ,bypassing NWDI, deploy the SDA file to the test and prod run-time. Is this correct?

2) Can custom Java development done for MII in NWDS using MIIBuildt.sca, XMII.sca, SAPBuildt.sca archives as build time dependencies be transported via NWDI or can it only be deployed directly to prod via NWDS as a SDA file?

If you're referring to custom actions, PDF Fonts, and JDBC drivers you are still required to deploy them manually through the web UI.???

Which Web UI?

I am referring to any Java code in a custom SC that has build-time dependencies on MIIBuildt.sca, XMII.sca, archives in the track of that SC including actions as well.

What about NWDS? When all activities are activated do I

1. Release all of them in NWDS and then go into the CBS to assemble the SCA to Import it to Test from the CMS.

Or

2. Do I forget about releasing them and just build an SDA file in NWDS and deploy it to Test from NWDS?

Thanks for your help guys.

0 Kudos

Andrei,

Moving content from Track to Track moves it from MII system to system.

The NWDS approach is incorrect and is only valid if you wish to create an SDA to distribute to the SDN or manually from system to system without using the NWDI Transport.

The Web UI I'm referring to is the SAP MII Menu (System Management section).

Tranporting Java code in a custom SC from system to system is purely NWDI related and not tied to MII. This can be done using the same process since this leverages NWDI as well. Point your NWDS to the DTR and share your custom Java project create your activities -> activate them -> Release them. Then in the NWDI Transport studio release them from the dev track and then accept them into the Cons/QA track.

In NWDS, once all of the activities are activated then you have to "Release" them for transport...see the NWDI help documentation for more details or post questions about NWDI on their forum to leverage their knowledge base.

Regards,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sam,

I am sorry. Help me out here with what you are saying ,please.

1."Moving content from Track to Track moves it from MII system to system."

Are you saying that I have to have a track per each system in NWDI ? A track for dev, a track for QAS and a track for Prod?

Essentially, are you saying that I need to have 3 tracks to move MII Content from dev to prod?

If not, why do I need to move content from track to track? I want to move content from one NWDI system to the next one. I am not in maintenance mode yet. I am doing brand new development. Can you clarify that?

2.The NWDS approach is incorrect and is only valid if you wish to create an SDA to distribute to the SDN or manually from system to system without using the NWDI Transport.

I really do want to use the NWDI Transport. However, SAP AGS refers me to page 6 of Jamie Cawley's document "Deployment" to do the transports in the form of a SDA ,not SCA, to deploy from NWDS because the import fails!! See the link below.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0348c15-6ee6-2c10-f7a0-89c0fc209...

Here is what SAP AGS says:

"The MII track will use the MIIbuildt to create an SDA as defined by

MIIbuildt.

As far as we know, MII deployment can only be performed in NWDS.

Only aware of using NWDS to deploy custom java development."

Thanks for your help, Sam

Edited by: Andrei Filatov on May 12, 2010 12:56 AM

jamie_cawley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you are Installing the ce version it is pretty straight forward, just make sure you follow the installation guide found on http://service.sap.com/instguides

For building and deploying see

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d0348c15-6ee6-2c10-f7a0-89c0fc2099ec

Regards,

Jamie