RFC destination vs Gateway

former_member296836
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have the scenarios

1. RFC->PI->File

2. File->PI->RFC

We are migrating from XI 3.0 to 7.1. and I am testing the new system.

For scenario 1 we are using a RFC destination with a Programm ID on SAP side that

we already use in XI 3.0. The sending of RFC messages works fine.

Scenario 2: Sending messages via RFC to SAP system failed with error:

RFC_ERROR_SYSTEM_FAILURE: Exception condition "NO_RFC_DESTINATION" raised.

This is because the standard RFC connection from SAP system to PI is not established yet.

The RFC destination from PI to SAP system is already created.

My question is why we need the destination from SAP to PI when we send to SAP system? Is this

because of authorisation or will SAP system send an ack and needs the destination because of this?

And why we will not need the destination when we are using RFC sender adapter? This questions

is focused on architecture between sending and receiving of RFCs.

Thanks

Chris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

>Scenario 2: Sending messages via RFC to SAP system failed with error:

>RFC_ERROR_SYSTEM_FAILURE: Exception condition "NO_RFC_DESTINATION" raised.

>This is because the standard RFC connection from SAP system to PI is not established yet.

? I dont think so. I assume you are using an RFC receiver channel in XI for sending the data. I suggest to check the logon parameters there (app server, system number, client).

CSY

former_member296836
Participant
0 Kudos

>

> ? I dont think so. I assume you are using an RFC receiver channel in XI for sending the data. I suggest to check the logon parameters there (app server, system number, client).

>

> CSY

Thank all for your reply. But please let me ask again in detail. Do I need a RFC destination in SAP to XI if I want to send messages from XI to SAP?? I reckecked the connection data and everything seems all right. Any other suggestions why an error like NO_RFC_DESTINATION could be thrown?

Thanks

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

>>Do I need a RFC destination in SAP to XI if I want to send messages from XI to SAP??

No. If you are sending a msg from PI to SAP using RFC adapter, you dont need any RFC destinations created in either R/3 or PI.

Regards

Jai

former_member296836
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I finally found the error. It it because of the special RFC I am using:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45b/helpdata/DE/e4/30a950c63811d2a6780000e82de703/content.htm

If a field is not filled, he return the mentioned error.

Thanks to all.

Regards

Chris

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just look at this two scenarios: from XI to SAP RFC and from SAP RFC to XI.

1) RFC->XI

in this case SAP initalize a transfer of data, call a RFC function, and if you don't create a TCP-destination for RFC, SAP call a local function. Data does not send to XI. So, you need something that uses an RFC to send data to XI.

2) XI->RFC

in this case XI initalize a transfer of data, XI-channel contains a login-password, and you don't need a something else to connect to RFC-function.

SAP TCP-Destination is something like XI-channel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

While sending the data from SAP to PI you need RFC destination to be created in SAP with progID and same to be used in PI...

once you create progID it will get register in gateway and gateway will see with which system the progId is associated and based on that gateway will distribute the data...to target system...thats the reason you need progID while sending the data from SAP using RFC...

In case of PI calling SAP RFC..you dont need an ProgID...in this case you are directly calling RFC from PI...by establishing the Connection to SAP using PI RFC adapter...

Hope this clears your queries...

Regards

Rajesh