Former Member
0 Kudos

It is recommended to keep all the three data files in separate drives

Thanks

Abuzar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the recommendation for Data files physical size.

i have four data files in our production DB. all the four data files are different in size,

data 110 GB

data2 67 GB

data3 90 GB

data4 93 GB

size difference will create any performance issue.

we are getting high IO read write on data files.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Aamir

Difference in file sizes should not be a problem, but if you want you can make all equal size, SQL server uses proportional fill across all the data files. you can see all the data files will have approximately same % of free space available irrespective of file size.

High IO read/write operations can be caused by various reasons, is each datafile is located in separate drive? including your log and temp DB, its recommended.

are you using RAID1 for you log file, its advisable to have RAID1 for log file rather RAID5, as you have pay penalty for every write operation on RAID5.

Assuming you are using SAN, you may have to modify your HBA default queue depth settings(refer to links below)

http://blogs.msdn.com/saponsqlserver/archive/2010/05/04/monitoring-sql-server-i-o-performance.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/joesack/archive/2009/01/28/sql-server-and-hba-queue-depth-mashup.aspx

Thanks

Mush

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are you facing any problem ?

Your Data files are stored/maintained on RAID 5 or any RAID levels ?

Please refer section "Increasing and decreasing database files" of SAP Note 363018 - File management for SQL Server.

DBCC SHRINKFILE command is used to decrease the size of Data file..

Also You can perform DB Reorganization to defragment the space withing the files.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff