cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare to blank value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This may be a very basic question... Our requirement is to have a smartform print Field2 if the field is populated (not blank), but to print Field1 if Field2 is blank. I have nodes for Field1 and Field2, and am trying to use the condition tab to check to see if Field2 is populated or blank, and print the correct node accordingly. However, I am not able to find anywhere online what value to use as a blank in the condition tab. I have tried ( ), " ", ' ', SPACE, INITIAL... none work.

Could somebody tell me what to use? Or help with another way to acheive this functionality?

Thanks,

J

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member156446
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in the condition tab try.

field1

condition: field1 NE initial.

field2

condition: field2 NE initial.

or you can use a true or false condition too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

With Field1 NotEqual INITIAL - Field1 prints when Field2 is blank.

With Field2 NotEqual INITIAL - nothing prints when Field2 is populated.

This has been my experience so far with conditions... I am able to get Field1 to print when Field2 is blank, but when Field2 is populated, nothing will print.

former_member156446
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you need to have two conditions.. on field2... try some options.. first try writing one paper and validate and then code... that makes it easy..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like INITIAL was the correct value to test against a blank field. It wasn't showing values because of spacing issues. Thanks for the help!