cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angeline - Problem Redo Logs while backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

NW2004s Oracle 10g under windows 2003 server. I having problem and need your help please...

We are using Symantic backup exec. backup utility without Agent; and it stopped Oracle DB after backup here is some clue

C: drive has operating system and symantic works fine

😧 drive has SAP application backup works fine..

E: drive has only all logs and arichived

F: drive has oracle database backup

We have setup for BR-Backup which is running fine... "Whole backup online", "Archived Redo logs"

my question is where BR backup saved or pick files Re-do logs and which location

I know from archived logs saved in oraach folder and we dind't select that folder for symantic backup utiiltiy

I am looking for redo logs files save folder where is that should be

in E: drive we have the following folders

mirrlogA, mirrlogB, oraach, orilogA, saparch, sapbackup, sapcheck, sapdata1, sapreorg, saptrace

your answer will be really appriciated and full points

Thank in Advanced

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for redo logs files save folder where is that should be

Online redo log files reside in the origlog and mirrlog directories: Log file numbers 1 and 3 and their mirrors in origlogA and mirrlogA, log file numbers 2 and 4 and their mirrors in origlogB and mirrlogB, respectively.

Inactive & Offline redo log files are written and transferred to the oraarch directory

we dind't select that folder for symantic backup utiiltiy

Please do not make this mistake. Database Recovery will demand those files.

Consistent Online Backup is recommended.

We are using Symantic backup exec. backup utility without Agent; and it stopped Oracle DB after backup here is some clue

Stopped Oracle ?? Please elaborate it. Are you not able to start your DB Instance ?

Does DB Instance require recovery ? If it requires recovery then perform "recover database" command. If its required it will do the recovery using available Offline and online Redo log files.

Perform Disk-to-Disk Backup using DB13 or BRBACKUP and then perform Disk-to-Tape using Backup Exec Software.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

Thank you so much provided that information, very perfect...

Basically we are running Symantic Exec backup for Application such as "OS / SAP / etc. etc.

BRTOOLS for Database backup... so thats why I don't want to include these folder with Symantic backup

DB instance is ok and I started through SQL now works fine.. but when symantic backup run, DB stopped, becuase symantic included these folder too...

so what I gonna do, I will uncheck these folders from symantic extc utility... and lets see... hopefully will ok

any other advise

Thank again for you time...

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shroff,

I am s o r r y to borther you again, let me summarized the problem I have

One HDD with 4 partitions and I want to backup in Extrinal HDD please advise me what paramaters should I change in init<SID>.sap file

C = Operating system

D = SAP application

E = Archived + Redo logs + system logs

F = Database Files

Symantec Exec backup utility will take every day backup for CD drive and I will setup for Oracle 10g backup included EF drives

1 u2013 Everyday full / whole online backup Monday u2013 Friday at 9:00pm, with archived logs

2 u2013 Every Saturday Full offline backup at 9:00pm

3 u2013 Full online Restore with archived and redo logs

4 u2013 Full offline restore command

Could you please provide answers or commands, I will schedule, use DB13, please advised me how to restore them

Thank in advance

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for Oracle backups (and archive backups) , use DB13. it`s the easiest tool.

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Your thread is looking very similar to this [ thread|]. Both are working for same solution ?

Anyway, You can also perform [Non-Database Backup with BR-Tools|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_NW04/helpdata/en/0c/cd271365debc42bef96ac7fd907787/frameset.htm].

1 u2013 Everyday full / whole online backup Monday u2013 Friday at 9:00pm, with archived logs

Use DB13 or manual BR*Tools program to take backup on remote/local HDD and schedule it accordingly.

You will have to provide the following profile parameter in init<SID>.sap file

backup_type = offline/online

backup_dev_type = disk

stage_root_dir = /path/to/your/backupdirectory which is writable & readable

2 u2013 Every Saturday Full offline backup at 9:00pm

[brbackup|http://help.sap.com/SAPHELP_NW70EHP1/helpdata/EN/c7/c90e6b7cfd44309bd90b2b7a8a89fd/content.htm] -u system/manager -c -m all -t offline -p init<sid>.sap

Please [refer this same thread |], if you want to perform it by scheduling weekly .BAT file in Windows.

3 u2013 Full online Restore with archived and redo logs

4 u2013 Full offline restore command

You can use BRTools for the same. You will have to restore the DB using the required Backup image then, you will have to perform recovery (Complete/Point-in-time Recovery) by applying the available offline redo log files. Please refer this useful document "[Oracle Restore and Recovery|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/97a4f439-0d01-0010-d488-d29b45e2f5ab?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]" to get more command level information for BRBACKUP and BARESTORE and for others. Refer section "Examples of BRRESTORE Runs*" of this document.

You will find other useful document related to Oracle Database at [ this location|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];. Please read them carefully.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Answers (0)